Chapter 13: The Call

Everyone returns to the station, and immediately Morgan grabs Reid by his arm and starts to pull him away from the group. "Morgan wha-" they enter one of the offices. Morgan flings him into the room, shuts the door, locks it, and closes the blinds. "Morgan-"

"I dont want you working this case anymore." Morgan interrupts. "Its bad enough that you got involved because your mom was killed by this guy, but now he is after you. I am not okay with this Spencer."

"Well it's not your choice." Reid states and tries to walk away. Morgan pins him to the wall.

"No but I can try to convince you to stay put and stay out of this one." Morgan states.

"Morgan-" Before Reid can say anything else his lips were against Morgans. Reid pushes him away and stares in horror at the other profilist. "What made you think that doing that would keep me put?"

"I just thought-" Reid walks out of the room before Morgan can even finish his sentence. He's not out of the clear yet. He is immediatelly pulled back into an office room, but by Hotch this time. "Don't even." Reid starts before Hotch could. 

"You already know what I was going to say?" Hotch asks. 

"Morgan already tried to talk to me about staying out of this case." Reid replies. 

"That's not what I pulled you in here for." Hotch states. Reid looks to Hotch confused.

"What?"

"I need you to stay in this case." Hotch states. "If you agree to be in the case longer you are now bait. Can you handle that?" Reid nods. 

"I can handle that." Reid verbally replies. 

"Good, just act as if nothing has changed in this case." Hotch orders. "But..." Reid feels a hand slide over his and another under his chin. "You need to be careful." He whispers and tries to close the gap between them. However, Reid slips away and rushes over to the door. 

"Don't." Reid growls and hurries out of the room. As soon as he walks out of the office he is met by Prentiss.

"Everything okay?" She asks placing her hand on Reids arm.

"Yeah...no." Reid answers.

"What happened in there?" Prentiss asks.

"It's whatever." Reid replies.

"Alright..." Prentiss replies unsure that it's really whatever. "What should we do now about the unsub?" She asks.

"He's after me, so we wait and see what he will do ne-"

"Agents!" The top officer of the station comes running towards them. The rest of the team gather.

"What is it?" Hotch asks.

"Our suspect, he's striked again." The officer states.

"Where?" Hotch asks.

"Not too far from here." The officer states as he leads the way to the station.

When they get to the sight, it immediately hits them. The whole building is still burning, firefighters trying to put it out, and survivors being treated.

"I'm going to call Garcia and see if she can retrieve footage from any street cameras." Morgan states and turns to walk away for a few minutes.

"JJ stay with Morgan." Hotch orders. "Try to keep the Media away." JJ nods and walks over to Morgan. "We need to head back to the station." He orders Gideon, Prentiss, and Reid.

"Special Agent Doctor Spencer Reid?" A voice grabs all their attention.

"That's me," Reid replies, now looking at an older male officer.

"One of the survivors said this was for you." The officer states as he hands in an envelope to him.

"Who was this survivor?" Reid asks. The officer turns and points to an older woman, over by the paramedics. Reid thanks him and walks over to the older woman. "Excuse me?" The older woman looks up at him. "I'm Spencer Reid. You told the officer that the one who did this handed it to you."

"Yes." The woman responds rather calmly.

"Can you tell me what else he did?" Reid asks.

"It wasn't a man." The woman states. "It was a lovely young lady." She replies. "Young, bright smile, sweet voice, and I think she was an employee here." The woman added. "Is she alright?" She asks.

"Uh..." Reid looks back to Prentiss. "I'm sure she is alright." He answers the older woman, still looking up at Prentiss. He turns back to the woman. "Thank you." He gets up and walks back to the others with Prentiss.

"What is it?" Hotch asks.

Reid opens the envelope. "A note." He answers.

"Hello, Special Agent Doctor Spencer Reid;

I'm sure by now you get the picture and think you know why I choose to do this. However, do you really know why I choose to do it?

Be prepared for a call."

Reid looks up to Hotch who shares no expressions. "Prentiss get Reid back to the station, make sure Garcia tracks the call." He orders.

"Hotch the survivor said a young woman gave her this, not our unsub." Reid states.

"We know who his partner is." Gideon jumps in.

"While you wait for the call, see if you two and Garcia can find any more information that we might have missed on our unsub."

"Got it," Prentiss responds and starts walking with Reid to the SUV. 

Prentiss and Reid arrive at the station, set up in a briefing room, as they talk with Garcia and gather more information on Garrett. 

Reids phone suddenly goes off. He looks and it's an unknown number. "That's him." Prentiss states giving Garcia the cue to start tracing the calls as Reid answers it. 

"Garrett?" Reid answers. 

"Hello Dr. Reid." Garrett replies. "Did you like my surprise?" He asks, in a taunting voice.

"Not really." Reid answers.

"I would expect a mama's boy to actually want to die to be with his mother." Garrett comments. 

"Garrett, tell me where you are and I will meet you there." Reid speaks.

"Why?" Garrett asks. 

"Because then you have your chance to do it right. I'm the one you are after right?" He asks. 

"Reid no-" Prentiss is shushed by Reid. 

"What do you say?" He asks Garrett. There is a bit of silence between the two. After a minute Garrett finally answers. 

"Meet me at the wreckage of your dear mothers group home." He orders. "Show up by yourself, tomorrow, at 10am." He adds and the phone goes dead. 

"I couldn't trace it." Garcia states. "He was bouncing off too many towers." She explains. 

"That's fine Garcia. Thank you." Prentiss replies and glares down at Reid. "What were you thinking?" She asks, annoyed and worried at the same time. 

"This is the only way to catch him and find out why he is doing this." Reid explains.

"We already know why." Prentiss points out.

"No, I mean why he is targeting me now." Reid explains, and leaves the room before Garcia or Prentiss can say anything else. 

"Tell Hotch." Prentiss orders  Garcia. "I need to get officers ready for the meet." 

"He said for Reid to go alone." Garcia points out. 

"You think I trust this guy with Reid?" Prentiss asks and closes out of the video chat, leaving the room to speak with the chief.