Chapter 6: Jared

BTW guys, if you are wondering why two of my characters have "j's" in their names, I have no idea. I liked the name Jackie Thomas and the name Jared Wright (weird thing is, after i made up the character i MET someone who is named that... weeiiiirrddd!!!) And, I picked Bella, NOT BECAUSE OF TWILIGHT!!! :X i picked it because i let my friend choose the name of "her" character and she liked Bella Matthews... And I picked the name Gian because it means "Gift from God" and you will see why that's relevant later on... sooo... yeah. ENJOY :3

******************************************

Well, today was weird. We had talked for a little longer and then decided sleeping arrangements. The girls would sleep in Gian's right wing, and Malachi and I would sleep in the left wing. Now we were settling in. I hoped to be at our destination within two days.

"Well?" Malachi pressed me for details as he settled into a comfortable position after Gian had closed his wing.

"Well, what?" I asked, genuinely not knowing what the heck he was talking about.

"Well, what makes her different from all the others? There were so many we thought could be the one, Jared. So many girls with the same personal and physical characteristics as the King. The only difference is the effect she had on Gian. What makes her so special? Do you think she's her?"

"Of course she's the one, Malachi. And I don't think it, I know it." Just the thought makes my heart sink. I had kind of hoped she hadn't been the one, simply because of the prophecy. I didn't know it word for word, but I knew the gist of it.

Malachi paused. "That is what all the other squires said, too, you know."

"Dude, you saw yourself the reaction Gian had to her. That's proof, she is the one." I snapped, immediately regretting it.

"Okay, okay, I guess... So, what makes her special to you?" My mind immediately started racing to make a mental list, but I stopped it just as soon as it had started.

"She's my responsibility," I sighed.

"You know that isn't what I meant." Kai nudged me. I made a face at him, but he couldn't see because there was no light.

"Her... Dad knows..." I started slowly.

"That you like her?" I nudged him. I was so glad there was no light, because I was blushing.

"But... I'm not supposed to." I said firmly, more to myself than to my friend.

"Why not? Did he forbid it?"

"You can't really forbid something like that, smart one," I chuckled quietly. "It's just that she's so important and I'm still just a squire."

"Who trained a soon-to-be palace VIP, and who is SOON to be a knight."

"Doesn't matter. It doesn't seem possible to me. Doesn't seem right."

"If it isn't right, then he has forbidden your feelings, and you said he hadn't forbidden it." Malachi argued.

"No, he didn't forbid them. In fact, I think he kind of encouraged it."

"There you have it." He said smugly. I could hear that smile in his voice.

"But what if she doesn't like me? What if she likes someone else? What if she is promised already to someone her Dad has chosen, someone more suitable? What if--"

"You have become very womanly," He interrupted.

"What are you talking about?" I asked defiantly. "No I haven't."

" 'What if this, what if that,' " He badly mocked a female voice. "Those are girl worries. Besides, if she was promised to someone else, do you really think her dad would've encouraged you to chase her?" He shifted so that his hands were behind his head.