The Lady Keeper and Miss Finger Threads

A rare author's note 😉
To all my lovely readers, thank you so much for the support you've given for my story! I hope you'll enjoy the adventures that I'd soon share with you! But for now.. here's a new chapter. The longest chapter I've written. Nearly 3k! Thank you for patiently waiting.
This is dedicated to my wonderful beta a_force_of_nature and an adorable little girl. XOXO

*****
"Your hair looks like a fucking bird's nest," Gabriel spat out. At first, he looked disgusted with it, then, seconds later, I saw his eyes shut tight and his shoulders flinch hard as Luke thumped him on the head. "Fuck! Ow, shit! What was that for?!" Gabriel shrieked, caressing the back of his head as he squatted down onto the floor.

"Sometimes you're just too rude. Do you know that?" Luke had both hands placed on his hips and was towering over Gabriel. "She looks too cute with that cupcake graphic on her shirt, so stop with your yapping! You already commented on her clothes, twice. I just can't deal with you when you do things like this."

Gabriel looked up, a sneer on his face, and said, "Well, I am not leaving this building with her looking like that." He gestured with both his hands, pointing my way.

"Then don't come," I said dryly, sending him the stink eye. I was not about to let anybody insult me like that. I might have looked plain with a pink t-shirt and jeans on, but at least I looked decent. Is this not what teenagers like us wear these days?

These people might have saved my life before, but pointing fingers and demanding answers from me in this manner would stop right now.

Directing my gaze towards Luke, I asked, "Do you have time to accompany me to somewhere I could get my uniform? Mr. Blackbourne said that it was imperative I get it as soon as I can, since I have lots to fix concerning my class schedule and dormitory registration."

"That's what I'm here for. Let's go, my cupcake-loving cutie pie." He stuck his elbow out towards me. Trying hard not to blush at his term of endearment, I gladly snaked an arm through his.

"Am I late for the party?" A shock of red hair popped in through the small opening in the doorway. Nathan's eyes quickly scanned the room and his gaze settled on our little group in the middle. "Oh, good. You haven't left without me. I heard you're getting your uniform today, Sang."

You and me both. I'd only heard the news that morning, when I'd woken up. "Only if you're willing to be seen out in public with a girl who's got a bird's nest for hair," I shrugged.

He looked so confused; it was adorable. He eyed the two boys in the room and something in his eyes shifted as he noticed Gabriel's look of disapproval.

Nathan raised both his eyebrows and gave me an innocent look, as he asked, "What nest?"

Smiling widely with his answer, I let out a small giggle and cheered. "Okay. Let's go!"

Not even a minute after we'd exited the room, which was actually Mr. Blackbourne's, we heard loud footsteps behind us on the stairs, followed by soft curses coming from Gabriel. He was following us.

"Sorry about Gabe back there. He's just a bit of a diva at times. I think his little outburst was because of stress. You see, our team performs as a band and he's the lead singer. He's the one who gets all the remarks about the clothes and the hair, so he's gotten a bit stressed out about those things," Luke explained. Oh. Teams? I'd remembered Mr. Duncan saying yesterday that he'd leave me in the care of Mr. Blackbourne's team. How exactly did teams work here?

Refusing to talk about Gabriel when I was sure that he could hear our conversation clearly, if he just stopped with murmuring profanities, I asked them, "Your team performs in a band?"