: one

"Come on boy we have to hurry up if ya' want ta' see ha'. Do ya' have the card you and Dani made ha'." My grandma nagged to me. It was Mother's Day and we were going to meet my mom...from prison.

"Yeah ma."

"Well let me grab your baby sister." She replied going to grab Dani. I hadn't seen my mom in what seemed like forever ever since she got arrested when I was 6. Her visitation times were rare.

After grabbing everything I headed out to the van helping my grandma into the car and driving off.

"Yay we get to see mommy!" Dani kicked her seat with joy. She didn't understand yet about why we couldn't see her everyday and I don't know how I would be able to explain it to her.

"Dani give the card we made to mommy when we get there." I said passing her the card and she got excited all over again.

"Calm down Danielle we going ta be there soon." My grandma looked back at her to reassure her. She was always excited but I couldn't expect anything else since she was only 5.

"Are you happy to see mama Tee?" Dani said calling me by my nickname while kicking my chair eagerly getting my attention to answer her.

"Yeah Dani I'm happy to see her just like you." I said smiling still focusing on the road. But my smile only lasted for so long. I was afraid to see her after so long.
What if she'd changed and stop loving us?

"It's going to be okay Terry she wants to see you as well. She asks about you all the time on the phone." Grandma assured me

"Okay but we can't stay long I have my shift at the corner store at around 2 pm." I replied. With it just being my grandmother and I money was certainly a struggle. So, I always put in hours to help provide.

"That's alright that'll give us enough time to see her and for you guys to talk." After that we rode the rest of the way in silence.

God...I hope I'm able to make it out these slums because this isn't the lifestyle anyone should endure.

___________________________________

After a hour more of driving we'd finally arrived.

"Louisiana State Penitentiary

"Louisiana State Penitentiary." I read to myself. This place was old and beat down badly but as long as my mother wasn't being hurt in here I was okay.

After showing my I.D. and getting through the gates we pulled up to the parking and saw kids and prisoners out in the fields all playing with there sons or daughters. They had little activities set up but, it was nothing big. It was a prison they cared nothing for the inmates but rather the paycheck.