Final Stop

**Vote Coz it matters!**

I lay awake in my bed, after two consecutive nightmares. There was still dark out, so I tried to count the rotation of antique fan on the ceiling. The soft golden glow of the night lamp created a large shadow of the blades.

"Jayden," I muttered in my mouth. The sound of it seemed alien as if I had no connection to it. The sound of the insects outside had ceased, and I could now only hear the distant creaking of the rotating blades and my hammering heart. I took the pillow and hugged it, tears spilling out of my eyes, soaking on the damp cotton. In front of my eyes, I saw the faces of Sid, my mother, my father, and Lyra. What was their intention? Just to spy on me? Then again, they must care for me. That was why they wanted to know about me? Was I being harsh on them? And maybe they had changed as they say.

I felt the need to read the letter they left for me. What was the point now? The letter was still in the drawer of my bedside table. I went berserk when I heard a sudden knock on the door.

"Who is it?" I called out, clutching the sheets tightly over me.

No answer. Though sound of the knocking was soft.

I slowly moved out of bed, picked up a rusted and empty vase from the table and held ready to strike if the sound continued. Then when I heard a familiar voice, I dropped the vase and hurriedly opened the door.

My mouth fell open, as Jayden stood before me, wearing a weak smile and a particular expression of relief. Was I dreaming again? I was rooted on the spot.

Without saying anything, he entered the room and closed the door behind me. He then fished out his cell phone and called somebody. "I found her. She is okay." And with that, he ended the call and stared fixedly at me.

"Why are you here?" I managed to ask. My heart pounded against my chest.

"To talk some sense into a crazy, stupid girl!" he replied, with his hands in his pockets.

"You...You," I muttered, fresh stream of tears spilling out of my eyes. Whether I was angry, or happy to see him, I could not tell. "I hate... I hate you!"

"I know," he answered, lowering his gaze. "I should have been truthful."

"I don't care now! I don't want to see you, anymore," I muttered, partly lying.

"Sara," he came forward, taking a step, within inches of me. "I know I ask too much from you. But please, listen to my side of the story. Here..." he placed the letter from my parents on my hand. "Read it first."

I took it with trembling hands and sat on the bed. Slowly, I fumbled with its fold and opened it.

My dear Sara,

Today when I saw you in that state, I could not take it. I am heartbroken, sweetheart. I know what we had done, is wrong. But darling, you know only the half truth. We wanted you to tell you everything, waiting for the right moment all along. And our relationship suffered and suffered. Soon, there was a deep crack and everything fell apart. Can it not be mended?

Now, as we both saw you, we had to tell you the truth anyhow. It would never be the right time. So here it goes...

Lyra suffered from Leukemia from the time she was four. Yes. I know. I know it is a shock to you. When it was first diagnosed, imagine our condition. The floor slipped beneath our feet, our Lyra was a cancer patient. I have saved countless numbers of lives, but when it was time to save my own daughter, I could not. We did everything we could. We started her treatment from the best of its field. When she realized that she would not survive long, she took a promise from us, not to tell you. She always said Didi should not know. She will cry because of me.