-8- That's Just Wrong

"That's the guy my dad never shut up about?" Tony asked. "I'm wondering if they shouldn't have kept him on ice."

I sighed, but continued my work. I actually felt sympathetic towards Cap. He's so used to receiving orders, he doesn't quite get that this world needs people who don't just follow orders blindly. I enjoyed his old-fashioned way of thinking, but in reality, the people giving orders don't always have the best of intentions.

"Guy's not wrong about Loki. He does have the jump on us," Bruce said.

"Which isn't helping my nerves at all," I mumbled, focusing on the screen.

"What he's got, is a dynamite kit. It's gonna blow up in his face," Tony said in response to our comments. "And I'm gonna be there when it does."

"That's what we're hoping for anyway," I said.

"And I'll read all about it," Bruce replied.

"Mm-hmm. Or you'll be suiting up with the rest of us," Tony replied.

"Ah, you see, I don't get a suit of armor. I'm exposed, like a nerve. It's a nightmare," Bruce said.

"It doesn't have to be," I told him.

"Miss Jones," I heard from my communicator Nat gave me. I reached up and pressed it.

"Director Fury?" I asked quietly.

"I need your assistance. Meet me outside Loki's cell," Fury ordered.

"Got it. See you there," I said, ending the call. "Jarvis, think you can finish up?"

"Of course, miss. It was a pleasure working with you."

"Thanks Jarvis," I said, standing up. I listened in to the last of Tony and Bruce's conversation.

"So you're saying that the other guy saved my life? That's nice. That's a nice sentiment," Bruce said nodding. "Saved it for.. what?"

"I guess we'll find out," Tony answered.

"You may not enjoy that," Bruce said.

"But you just might," I spoke up as I went to exit the room.

"Where do you think you're going? I thought you were helping me in illegal activities?" Tony asked.

"Fury. Apparently he needs my help. Call me when something goes down," I called out behind me.

"Don't you mean 'if'?" Bruce asked.

"No. I mean 'when'. Something is most definitely going to go down," I said, leaving the room, walking towards our meeting spot.

I spotted Fury waiting for me a ways down from Loki's cell.

"What do you need me to do?" I asked.

"I want you to pluck Loki's brain without him knowing what you're doing," Fury told me.

I blinked. "I'm sorry. You want me to pluck Loki's brain? I mean nothing would make me happier than to wipe that smirk off his face, but wouldn't it be better to ask Natasha?"

"I need you to do it because Loki doesn't know you. You're not famous in S.H.I.E.L.D or in society. He never met you while you were helping Thor, and you're not a S.H.I.E.L.D agent. He might open up to you easier, and we need as much leverage over him as we can get. Will you do it?" Nick asked.