-2- Compromised Cakes

So. Nick Fury is currently standing on my porch. Yeah. Okay. Wunderbar.

     I put on a signature Cheshire grin, though I was internally having a melt down. Why is it always me? Don't I deserve a break, World?! Will my pain and suffering never end?! Must you throw a metal bat at my head every single time I get comfortable?!

     "Ms. Jones," Fury addressed me, drawing me away from my internal rant. He had a poker face on, as per usual.

     I flicked my tail and twitched my ears in curiosity. "Nick Fury. I'm not really surprised, I always knew my little escapades didn't go unnoticed," I said, also mentally noting to invite important directors in before we start a conversation. "I'm being rude, it's not often I have guests. Come in, come in. I have tea brewing."

     Fury followed me into my kitchen without a word. I gestured to a wooden chair at the table. Fury obliged and sat down. I flicked my tail, and a tea cup appeared in front of Fury and another across from him. I poured tea into our cups, then sat down.

     I placed the cup to my lips, looking over the rim at the director of  S.H.I.E.L.D. "Okay, I have to ask. What exactly are you doing here? I don't remember doing anything illegal lately. At least I hope not. I haven't done anything illegal, have I?"

     I was slightly worried. With my luck, I might have actually done something illegal without knowing it.

     Director Fury actually had a spark of amusement in his eye as he looked at me.

     "You haven't done anything illegal. I'm here with a request. We need your help."

     Oh, they must be desperate. I eyed him cautiously, but nodded for him to continue. He took a folder out of his jacket, which I personally believed to be a fancy trench-coat.

     "Everything you need to know is in here. Loki's taken the Tesseract," he said, sliding the folder over to me. Oh, they're desperate all right. I knew who Loki was, and I also knew about the Tesseract. When your only friends are S.H.I.E.L.D agents, you learn a few things. Loki, I knew about because of that little incident with Thor in New Mexico. That was one of the few missions Barton got me to come along to. 

     "Why do you need me? Sure, I have my quirks, but there are more useful people," I wondered aloud.

     "I need not only your gifts, but your brain as well. Agent Romanoff has informed me of your intellect. I want you to help locate the Tesseract."

     I scanned over all the people that had been selected for the Avengers initiative. Even Natasha was there. I noticed one person was missing.

     "If you've selected Natasha and I, why isn't Clint on this list?" I asked looking up at Fury.

     "Barton's been compromised. Loki has control of him, as well as Dr. Selvig," he said entirely serious. I sat back in shock. I'm usually a happy-go-lucky-person. Even my dads betrayal couldn't get me down. However, this... two of the most important people in my life had been compromised. Selvig had become a kind of father figure to me. At the least, a crazy drunk uncle.

     My own father had betrayed me and the country, resulting in his arrest. I alerted Clint about him, after he had earned my trust, and Clint helped me take my father down. All his work was destroyed and he went to prison. Leaving me without a father.

     I decided the only proper thing to feel just then was a little well deserved aggression towards the god of mischief himself.

     "I'm in. I'll help you get the Tesseract back."

     Fury did a little smirk-smile sort of thing. This dude, has an amazing poker face.

     "Welcome to the Avengers."

     Of course, this is my life, so my epic moment was ruined by the smell of something burning.

     I shouted a few choice words, jumping up and dashing to the oven, only to pull out a very chard, very black, chocolate cake. I grabbed a knife and poked it. Hard as rock. Clint's not the only thing that's compromised 'round here. I turned back to Nick Fury who was watching me with a blank expression.

     Oh wait! His eyebrow's raised! That's something, right? I call it progress.

     Keeping eye contact with the director, I casually reached behind me and slid the pan into the sink.

     I gave Fury a bright smile.

     "So! When do we leave?"

------------
That word up top, wunderbar, is 'wonderful' in German. Sometimes, when I'm being sarcastic, I use other languages. So I thought "why not make the girl with a photographic memory know other languages". That and there are always those words in other languages that you somehow just know.

<><>>>I'm not going to put any serious cussing in this story. I don't know how old readers are, and some people just don't like it.<<<><>

Photo up top is her cat form. I personally find it awesome that someone painted their cat's fur that color. Also incredibly convenient for me.

"And everything just has to be convenient for you, right?"

Ugh, it's back. Get off my book, Conscience! You're annoying enough in my head.