Chapter 6 - Her Own Protector

Akai laid on her bed, wide awake despite the late hour, despite the eerie silence upon the small house.

No. She couldn't deny it anymore. It's true, she's scared of Akane. That red-eyed girl knows everything about her, even her deepest secrets and her sweetest lies.

And she hated that fact. Akane may or may not be a part of her, she's still unsure. No matter how much she tried to think over it, she never found the answer.

A tear fell from her eye. She hated living in fear. Even when her father was just inside the next room, even when she knew Akito was outside her room and Shin on the couch. Even when they all stayed close to her, the fear never ceased.

Akai stared at the wall in front of her. Her dark room reminded her a bit of Orochimaru's lair, and an uneasy feeling settled upon her chest. Yes, the mighty Red Mist is scared of a mere memory.

What a hypocrite. She used to torture hundreds people, under orders, even when her age hasn't reach two-digits. Hell, she enjoyed that job. And when she experienced the pain she caused them, she lost it.

"Yeah. Worthless, right?" A voice asked. Her eyes widened slightly.

"You shouldn't have started thinking about everything, that action was even better than counting sheep." The voice continued. At that point, Akai had realized that she had fell into a deep slumber, and returned back inside her mindscape, her personal hell.

"I miss you, Akai." The girl in front of her mocked, smirking slightly.

"Akane, stop." Akai commanded, but Akane ignored her.

"I really really really want to get out!! I'm bored here! Your father locked me up, I can't do much here! But thank you, Akai. Thank you so much for falling asleep. I finally had you here!"

"I'm leaving." Akai muttered, turning away, but Akane caught her wrist, and pull her down. Akai yelped as the ground below her disappeared, and turned into an endless pit of darkness. They were falling, but Akane grinned, cheering in excitement.

"Everything must be fair, right? You control day, I control night. Then it was ruined, but I found a way to solve it!"

Akai gave Akane an incredulous look, which she returned with a smile, "You can control our body, Akai. But I will control this place! I control your mind!"

"Can you please let us land somewhere, safe and sound? And smoothly, if you please?!"

"Of course! Anything for my ex-ally, Akai Hozuki!" Akane sneered, and the two of them fell into something that seemed like an ocean. Akai panicked, and quickly swam back to the surface, her instinct kicking in almost immediately.

Despite her bloodline, Hoshigaki, which was often associated with sharks, Akai hates water, cold water. Moreover, this one tastes like salt. And, Kami, sea, ocean, anything related to that would almost immediately be sent to her hate-list.

Akane had just, literally, dropped her into one.

"Where's the old fearless Akai?" Akane asked, a smug look on her face as she appeared in front of Akai, soaked as well, but enjoying the moment.

"Akane, I'm not in the mood to deal with your antics."

"Bam, you blamed me again." Akane stated, pointing an accusing finger at Akai. The scene changed again, now back to a clearing that used to be a battlefield.

"But you started this." Akai replied, causing Akane to scoff.

"I guess you forgot, huh? Do I have to remind you, Akai?"