Chapter 7

I sat the dumfounded after what she'd just said

I sat the dumfounded after what she'd just said. Trying to find my words I stood up to her level and dusted my pants. I extended my hand to meet hers. I'd faced this girl when I'd went to Joshua's house but right now my mouth was opening and closing from a distance I imagined I looked like a fish out of water. Finally, words seemed to flow from my mouth.

"Hi Summer it's nice to see you again" I said lying through my teeth if anything I wanted my to slap her face with a chair. But she'd done nothing wrong I could tell she never knew about me to begin with. I didn't hate Summer she was just not my favourite person in the world at the moment.

"So wanna catch a coffee during lunch, maybe some Starbucks down campus?" She said, with an attitude a little too good to be true for my liking. I wasn't up for it so I told her upfront.

"Look Summer you're a nice girl..." I said watching her face begin to fall. "But, even if I really tried I couldn't force myself to be friends with the girl my ex that I grew up loving cheated on me with. Even if I tried my hardest I couldn't and I don't want to be fake, either way I like to keep my circle small" I added on suggesting Summer was the type of girl who would hang out in large groups and attend huge social events.

Summer's eyes faltered to the floor and she seemed to ponder on the matter at hand, and a mischievous glint made it's way to her eyes she looked up at me smirking. A smirk that made my feet take two unsteady steps back.

"You must be drenched in jealousy shouldn't you" she said smiling. "I mean after all Joshy did pick me over you. And you think I didn't know he had a girlfriend?" She laughed. "Who do you think sent you all those texts about being too busy while he was in the shower? You were so persistent".

Shock wavered through me as I tried to grasp in the information.

"I almost found it funny until it started getting irritating" She said. She began speaking in a squeaky voice as if imitating my text messages,

"Oh Joshy could you please come over"

"Joshy I need you right now"

"Josh why are you avoiding me"

"Joshy please"

"Joshy I stood outside the movies waiting for you, why didn't you come?"

"Joshy could you please call me"

"Joshua I love you"

"Ugh, you made me sick" she said making a gagging sound "I mean how pathetic can humans be"

I'm weak. I'd finally realized because at that moment I could not find the words to retaliate to the shattering words that had escaped her mouth. I'd never be able to run away from people who kicked me to the dirts. I sat there my mouth dry from being open I finally swallowed triggering a tear to cascade down my cheek. I wiped it off furiously not wanting to show my weakness but it had been too late. A victorious smile had made it's way up Summer's lips but I wasn't blind to notice the look of guilt that swept her face.

"Are you done?" I questioned her.

" Oh honey, the game's only begun" she said smirking. "I'm sorry but could we rain check on that Starbucks lunch break my class is about to start in ten" she said looking at her rather expensive watch.

Speaking about Starbucks I happened to see you there the other day with an old friend of mine. Ethan. Remember him?

Unwillingly my heart clenched for a second as I gasped.

"Are you friends or something?" She questioned

"That doesn't concern you" I said, not knowing where that had come from.

"I'm just saying Andy you don't want to get infatuated with the likes of him." she said.

"Who the hell do you think you are to tell me who I do and who I don't acquaint myself with after you've been rather the bitch towards me"

"Andrea darling" she says and I hate the way she thinks we've become so familiar for her to approach me this way.

"I might not have a heart when it comes to tormenting humans... I mean people, but believe it or not I have a heart and I step in when a situation could lead to death." She says. " I'm warning you, the guy's a ticking time bomb".

 The bell rings at the moment and she storms off to her next class only to leave me in dumbfounded again.