Chapter 29 : The Messenger

The messenger pumped his legs against the ground, forcing his body to higher speed. The message burned in his head like a brand, a phrase of utmost importance entrusted to him. Today was a happy day for Ocean Province, that was certain.

He charged down an empty hallway, slipping between a mason and a shoe cobbler, biting his tongue with barely restrained glee as his feet pounded the shells in the floor. Oh, how he'd love to see the King's face when he found out!

Approaching the door, the messenger faltered for a split second, catching both breath and composure, and wiping the beads of sweat from his brow. The double doors to the grand throne room loomed menacingly over him, and a small, mute part of him wanted to turn and run. But, all the same, he pulled the great, seastone handles.

The doors creaked open, and the lowly messenger laid his eyes upon the grand King Nestor of Ocean Province. His Majesty's startling, mystical blue eyes instantly snapped upward toward the noise, and his warm face instantly broke into a smile. "Louis! I hear you have just been married. Congratulations and many blessings for the both of you." Waving off the heavily armored guards on either side of him, he beckoned the messenger forward.

Louis's ears glowed with heat as he bowed before the throne, lowering his gaze to the floor. "Your Grace is much too kind. In truth, I hadn't expected you to remember!" Louis had indeed been married not seven nights ago to the baker's daughter.

"You are among my most loyal, hardworking subjects, Louis," King Nestor grinned down on him, rising from the Throne of Pearls to descend to the commoner's level. "And also a dear friend to me. How could I not?"

The King's bejeweled hand came to a rest upon Louis's shoulder, causing a shiver to snake its way up Louis's spine. Louis tried with all of his might not to look upon the thick, steel cage lying beside the throne, surrounded by a blanket of white ash. The monster within snored in soft slumber. "Your Miracle grows, my liege," he choked, biting back fear.

"Oh," The King sighed, waving the comment away with a nonchalant hand. "Not quickly enough, Louis! Not quickly enough."

"Your Highness has cast a ray of light upon my day with his words," cordially intones the messenger. "Allow me now to hopefully do the same for you."

"Very well, you may proceed with your message," The king said, sweeping back up the steps and onto his throne.

Kneeling down, Louis prepared to recite his words and test his fate on sword's edge. Gathering a breath, he spoke the first portion of his message.

"We have had scouting reports from His Servants in the Middle Kingdom. Your daughter has finally been found, and she lives!"

His smile beamed down on the messenger, who instantly shivered in relief. "Why, Louis! This is joyous news indeed. And where is she? Is she out in the hall? Is she in a room preparing? Zephys!"

"But... Your Grace... we have yet to-"

"Silence, Louis. Your message has fallen upon welcome ears. What more could you want?"

One of the armored men stepped forward beside Louis, and knelt, answering, "Yes, my King?"

"I require your sword, and for you to alert the cooks that there is to be a feast!" The King's eyes snapped back to Louis, and the messenger shivered in fear.

"M-m-my king, what are you doing with that sword?" The king had drawn the blade from its scabbard and was testing the edge with his thumb.  Now, he returned the messenger's gaze, and smiled warmly.

"Don't be so afraid, Louis! I mean you no harm. Approach the throne, my loyal subject, and kneel before me." Louis's heart pounded like a drum, and sweat beaded his brow as he obeyed his king's command, closing his eyes as tight as he could.