chapter twenty four

pain. that's all mardelle could feel. ally hit her in the fucking face with the truth. sure, she was drunk last night, but that doesn't mean that she doesn't remember what ally said. as much as mardelle hates to admit it, her best friend is right.

mardelle continues to do her makeup in the bathroom. she is about to go to work. her job is right down the road from the flat, at patty's. you may be grinning right now, go ahead. mardelle just can't seem to keep away from the joint. maybe it was the memories? maybe it was the great pizza? maybe it is the warm cozy feeling she gets when she walks in? who knows.

mardelle flattens out her uniform before sliding her phone in her pocket and making her way out the door after turning off the lights.  with the new money she manages to make, elle had bought herself a new jeep and ally is working on finding them a bigger apartment. she slides her body into the driver's seat and starts the car, pulling out of the driveway.

mardelle pulls her car up into an employee space and shuts the vehicle off. she gets out and mentally prepares herself for whatever this day holds at work. she strides into the building and quickly checks in before organizing her station at the register.

well, here we go.

_____________

mardelle is currently walking across the street to meet up with ally on her lunch break. they plan on going to a mexican place to eat, and then they would be off to do what they were doing previously. mardelle continues her walk down the nearly empty sidewalk and arrives at the restaurant. she finds ally sitting at a booth and joins her.

"hey, algae."

without even an introduction, al speaks a sentence much more worrisome. "uhh, mar? i think that guy is following you..."

mardelle and ally both look outside, and indeed, a cute looking male had followed mardelle. he makes eye contact with elle and she blushes, quickly looking away. the gentleman makes his way over to the girls.

"uh, hi. i'm eric. you're really pretty, seem really nice, and i was wondering if i could get your number?"

it's time to make changes, even if her heart tells her no.