chapter three

six months later

"upstairs, peasant," mardelle instructs her best friend, a serious look on her face but her eyes glimmering.

"i'm the one giving you the piggy back ride," luke responds, smiling, stopping in her front hallway just to bug her. "so you can't tell me what to do."

"of course i can," she jokes, shrugging as best as possible from luke's back. "i'm the queen, so you must listen to everything i say."

"that's it," the blond mutters mischievously. he puts her down and she pouts, but he throws her over his shoulder instead and exits her house. "we're going out."

"nooo," she shouts, her face against his back.  mar laughs, the pretty sound carrying through the open air, and she slaps his back, "let me go, luke! i just want to nap!"

"never! we are going to the park whether you like it or not."

"put me down," she mumbles, still giggling lightly. "and stop looking at my ass."

luke scoffs, shaking his head. "i don't know what you're talking about."

"if you let me walk on my own, i'll still come to the park with you," the brunette offers.

"no, i don't trust you."

mardelle rolls her eyes, feeling a little sick from being upside down, and she starts kicking her legs, hoping that it'll bother the boy enough for him to let her down. "i hate you, lulu."

"calm down, elle," luke chuckles as they near the huge open field beside the park. it's empty, and the boy immediately spots the area he loves being in the most. "we'll hang out here for a bit and then you can take a nap."

she huffs. "and you'll still cuddle with me?"

he laughs quietly, nodding though she can't see him and only his back. "and i'll still cuddle with you."

"fine," she finally agrees, and he breathes out in relief, letting her onto her feet.

luke gently takes mardelle's wrist, carefully dragging her through the grass. they head towards where there are a few trees that create a small, shady area, partially cut off from the rest of the park.

mardelle unties the blue flannel from her waist –which she had stolen from luke and would not be giving back– and places it down before sitting, not wanting grass stains on her white shorts.

luke observes as she does this, taking his own seat as well, and smiles. "you're so adorable."

she looks up like a deer caught in the headlights. she didn't hear what he said, having been lost in her own world. "what?"

he shakes his head in amusement. "nothing. i, um, need to talk to you about something."

"okay," she mumbles, voice sweet and a cute look in her eyes. "what's up?"

"basically," nerves fill his body immediately, and he rubs his face with his hands, trying to gain some courage. "so, um, i was wondering...shit."

"lulu, what's up?" mardelle's eyes convert to concern and she reaches out, grabbing his hand in her own and squeezing it in comfort. "are you okay?"

this makes him smile and he nods. "yeah, i'm okay. i just...i need to ask you something."

"ask me."

"fuck, okay. um, remember that night? at that party where we first met, when al and ash ditched us so we went to get pizza? since that night, i knew you'd always be a big part of my life. i'm glad i was right, glad you're my best friend. what i'm trying to say is...i want to date you. i mean, no. well, yes but- just, elle, will you go out with me?"

she's silent for a second before she jumps up and attacks luke in a hug, beaming. "yes, you cheesy little shit. took you long enough."

oh how that worked out so perfectly.