8. I am Beyonce, and I can read a map

Start from the beginning

            It would be the perfect moment.

            I smile softly, thinking about how amazing it would be to have a picnic on the grassy mountain overlooking the ragged, ocean in front of us.

            I don’t think I even notice Coda staring at me a moment too long until I feel the car swerve slightly.

            It was barely noticeable-the small swerve of the car- but it was enough to get my heart ricocheting off my chest in fear. Cars tumbled down mountains into the jagged rocks all the time..

            Okay, don’t think about that, you idiot, I scold myself.

            “So you’re scared of tight spaces-“ Coda brings up conversationally. “What else are you scared of?”

            I sink lower in my seat, suddenly embarrassed.

            Coda snickers softly, glancing at me to shoot me a curious look. “Come on, if we’re going to look like a real couple, I think I should at least know what gets you on edge?”

            I frown, knowing that he was right.

            “I’m scared of the ocean and heights….” I mutter.           

            Coda whistles lowly. “I didn’t know I had a Scaredy cat for a girlfriend.”

            I glare at him, my gaze snapping to look up. “Hey,” I protest, hating the way the word ‘girlfriend’ got my heart palpitating.

            Coda laughs, the genuine carefree tone to it surprising me.

            I wish I had a camera to take a picture of this moment.

            With the windows rolled down, Coda’s dark auburn hair is blown messily around his head as he laughs, his eyes brightening to a delightful coffee hue.

            I quickly look away, swallowing hard.

            I cross my arms. “Well it’s not like I won’t go in the ocean, I’m just scared of-“

            “Drowning?” Coda guess, quirking an eyebrow. “Falling off of a cliff?”

            I shrug. “It happens to people all the time.”

            “Yes, but don’t you think it’s a shame to live in fear of these things?” Coda asks.

            I gape at him, feeling my cheeks burn. “I don’t live in fear,” I say defensively.

            “Sure you don’t,” Coda replies, rolling his eyes.

            “I don’t! Besides, YOLO doesn’t seem to make any sense to me. Yolo and ‘Watch this’ seems to be famous last phrases people say right before they die.”

            Coda blinks, stunned.

            The car takes a sharp right against the bend of the motion, the sunlight still burning bright.

            “Wow, what do you have against my life motto?” Coda asks, playfully hurt.

            I can’t help it. I crack a smile.

            He's right. If there's one thing you have to know about Coda, it's that his life motto was ‘YOLO’.

            “So let me ask you a question-“ Coda begins.