Chapter 1: Mr. Carson's Goodies

Start from the beginning

You were too distracted to notice one last customer had strolled in, oblivious to the whole situation but seemingly amused by your angry ranting. The man took off his aviator glasses and hung them to his shirt collar, taking off his old, brown hat and holding it against his chest.

"S'cuse me miss-?" The man began, getting interrupted by your furious bickering. "No, he just HAD to forget to pay the bottle, didn't he? That son of a-" the man tried his best not to laugh, instead smiling a goofy grin. "Uh, miss?"

You interrupted him again, "Ooooh, wait 'till I get my hands on that no-good, little fu-"

"Mgghm!"

You jumped out of your skin, dropping every plate you once held, coffee spilling the checkered tiles.. And the poor man's red shirt.

"Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry!.." You began, taking out an old cloth from your apron and trying to clean his shirt.

"Oh, it's okay sheila, yah really don't have to-"

"No wait, I got this, gimme a sec.."

You scrubbed harder, receiving a wheezy snort from the tall man. "Please just, let me do it a'right? It's okay, really..." The man laughed, taking the cloth gently from your hand and wiping his shirt a little.

You looked up to see a very handsome man. He wore a red, long-sleeved shirt rolled up to his elbows and long, dark dress pants that hugged his lean legs. His face was truly a sight; chiseled jaw, dark brown hair brushed back with a few stray hairs streaming down his forehead, and behind his tough appearance, his soft, blue eyes had a hypnotizing gaze.

He returned your cloth, now drenched in coffee and sweat. He smiled thankfully, hoping you wouldn't flip over the dirty rag too. "Thanks sheila, even if it was no problem.."

You smiled softly and walked back to the register.

"What can I get you sir?" You asked politely.

"Oi'd like an expresso please, decaf.."

With a nod, you turned your back on the Australian-accented man, preparing his coffee carefully. You drew a small flower with some cream and brought it to the counter. "Anything else?"

The man looked through the glass housing the wide selection of treats and goodies and decided on a cupcake with chocolate icing and sprinkles. You took out the cupcake from its protective dome and placed it on a small, ceramic plate.

You placed it on the counter with the expresso, "Would that be all?"

"Uhh, yes, thank you.." The man replied, smiling softly. He handed you a $20 bill and you returned his change, "and please, call me Mick.."

You smiled, extending your hand for him to shake, "(Y/n)"

He grabbed your hand gently and shook it softly " s'a pleasure to meet yah (Y/n).." You smiled and nodded, going back to counting money on the register.

From not too far away, the tall man watched, not in a creepy way of course, but in an appreciative one, seeing as you were such a hard-working girl who still managed to be so kind even with the pressure of being the only employee in this cafeteria, or so he thought.

Minutes passed, and you grew curious to the extreme silence inside the bakery, glancing sideways, where the man was sitting, eating his cupcake. You held back your laughter, seeing him get some icing on his nose. This didn't go unnoticed by the brown-hatted man.

He looked at you confused, his eyes beginning to wander around searching for the source of your laughter. This only made you laugh more. Crimson red and wheezy, you leaned your weight on the counter.

The man stood abruptly, running to your aid. "Sheila? (Y/n), are you okay?" He leaned closer, placing a hand on your shoulder softly. You looked up and- PFFTT! IT LOOKS LIKE POOP!

You shook your head, grabbing a napkin and wiping his nose. The man noticed the brown icing on the napkin and went wide-eyed, wiping his face roughly.

You giggled softly, this man was so funny! And intriguing too..

Mick blushed, obviously embarrassed by all the attention. From a few feet away, a very curious and joyful Mr. Carson watched the two chatting and laughing together.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"All passengers un-boarding in New Mexico, please grab your belongings and step out carefully.."

The train conductor's words snapped you out of your thoughts, reality hitting you like a train itself. You stood up hurriedly, grabbing your large duffle bag and favorite cap. You stepped forward carefully, maneuvering to avoid smacking someone with the huge bag.

You looked to your side, noticing a man eating a sandwich. He placed it next to him, checking something on his phone. Your stomach grumbles. 'Dear Lord, I'm very vErY, VERY hungry, and I know this is wrong but-'

You dropped your cap 'accidentally', right next to the man's seat. "Psht! Silly me..."

You leaned down, grabbed the cap from the floor and 'eeehhhhhhh, almooost theereeee...', you swiped the sandwich from the seat, replacing it for a small ball of crumpled dollars.

'Hey gotta leave 'em something', you hid the sandwich inside the cap.

"Have a nice day miss." The conductor tipped his hat and grinned, receiving a nod and small smile from you.

"Hey.. Where'd my sandwich go?!?" You stepped out of the train hurriedly, barely escaping the angry man's wrath.

As you speed-walked from the boarding area, you looked up at a big sign, which had written on it in big, bold letters, the name of the town you'd start your new life in..

Teufort...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

You stepped forward slowly, taking in the new surroundings. You gave a big whiff, taking in the smell of rusty railways and sweaty people. The hot temperatures sure weren't helping.

You began your journey by walking down a Main Street, unwrapping the sandwich, and looked around for a place to stay over the night.

Since you lost your job a few weeks ago, life had gotten a lot tougher, and all available jobs just seemed to be taken in a flash. Mr. Carson sold his beloved cafeteria to a a young woman, who would turn the memory-filled building into a modern techno-library thingy and moved to New York with his son and daughter-in-law.

Yes, tears and hugs were shared in your good bye, but you could always stay in contact through phone. But then money left quicker than it took to be earned, and you started to doubt the possibility of even owning a phone.

You decided to start fresh because of this, thus moving to this desert-covered city.

You continued down the street hurriedly, removing your heavy jacket in the process, searching for a building with air conditioning.

You spotted a small cafeteria across the road, memories flooding your mind like a river. A woman stepped out, releasing a once-captive gush of cool air. You smiled to yourself and proceeded to step into the sand-covered road, not noticing that fast moving camper van heading straight toward you..

*SCREEEEECHHH!*

GUYS FIRST TF2 FANFIC!!! If you liked this chapter don't forget to vote and comment! I always like to see your opinions ;) LOVE YAH MY LIL MARSHMALLOWS!! BYEE❤️💖❤️