Chapter 1: Mr. Carson's Goodies

FIRST CHAPTER YAY OHMGSH
~*~*~*~*~

"(Y/NNN)!!! I SWEAR IF YOU DONT FINISH UP THOSE TABLES, IM GONNA KICK YOUR ASS OUTTA HERE WITH 'EM!!"

You wiped the table faster, increasingly afraid for your job's sake. The sun was beginning to set, casting a soft yellow glow in the old cafeteria. You were just making sure to leave everything nice and clean for tomorrow.

Mr. Carson had been very kind to employ you, seeing as you needed a job desperately. Lucky for you, baking was one of your favorite hobbies, which served you well in the cafeteria you worked at, Carson's Goodies.

The man had been your neighbor for a couple of years and represented almost a fatherly figure, in a way. But today, he seemed.. Off. The aging man's soft, brown eyes lacked their usual joyful glow, and his overall attitude seemed tense and anxious.

You peeked into his office, after finishing up all the tables of course, and slowly inched toward his small desk, crowded with documents and other important files. The man sat quietly, his hands on his head covering his face, and gave an exasperated sigh.

"Mr. Carson?" You began. The man jumped slightly, giving you a quick glance before grabbing some papers and beginning to organize them. He cleared his throat, "Um, (Y/n), did you finish cleaning the tables? I hope so, 'cause the customers might be arriving at any momen-" he stopped and looked at you, noticing the suspicious stare you gave him.

He dropped the papers carelessly. The man motioned for you to take a seat, which you did gratefully, and began his explanation. "Look, (Y/n).. We've been, having some problems and.. It breaks my heart to say this but...We're gonna have to close down.."

Realization dawned over you, you're gonna lose your job!

"Wait, what do you mean close down? Why?!?" You asked hurriedly, your words coming out almost choked out. Mr. Carson looked up sadly and proceeded softly, "we're not doing good in our sales hun, yah know, with that new Starbucks opening down the road.. I'm sorry (Y/n), but we're closing in three days.."

You breathed a defeated sigh, looking at Mr. Carson's sad expression. This place held so many wonderful memories, a place you held near and dear to your heart, but there was nothing you could do.

"I-I understand, Mr. Carson.. I'll go check if we have any customers.." You stood up and walked out hurriedly, leaving a confused and worry-driven Mr. Carson pondering in his office.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The day passed rather normally, you were just counting the money in the register, whistling a soft tune.

'Let's see, the guy in khaki shorts ordered an expresso, the girl with glasses ordered a latte and our WiFi password, the couple and their little boy ordered two mochas, chocolate milk and 3 chocolate chip cookies..'

You kept listing out the day's customers, making sure the money was accurate with your calculations. 'Wait, there's supposed to be another dollar in here...' You re-counted the money.

You gasped "that asshole.. He didn't pay for his water bottle!" You groaned angrily, taking a dollar from your pocket and placing it in the register.

Yeah, you were broke, and a dollar wouldn't make much difference; but it was still a loss for Mr. Carson, and you felt bad for the man.

"It was the guy in the khakis! I forgot he ordered a water bottle!" You continued talking to yourself, let me rephrase that, scolding yourself, angry you let that slimy little thief steal a water bottle.

You continued walking around tables, picking up empty cups and plates. "I should've known! Just like auntie (A/n) always said, never trust a guy who wears jean shorts in public.."