Chapter Ten: Strange

"I'm sorry."

There he stood, posture sagging, face distorted with sadness, eyes portraying hurt.

There she stood, mouth open in surprise, blue eyes wide, skin deathly pale. She seemed to be choking on her own air.

"W-What?"

"I said I'm sorry," Chat repeated, eyes cast unto the floor. "I pushed you too far, projected my feelings onto you. I realized how that must've made you feel. I'm sorry."

"N-No!" she sputtered, hands shaking with what seemed to be barely contained excitement. "Y-You didn't... I-I felt... You're not..."

She stiffened.

He sighed.

She bit her lip.

He prodded her with his sad gaze.

Squirming uncomfortably, Marinette pulled the door open all the way and stepped to the side, saying, "Come in, I guess."

Nodding gratefully, Chat stepped inside and meandered over to the Dupain-Cheng's couch, sitting himself down with stiff poise.

Marinette closely followed, internally screeching at the boy's presence.

He looked sad.

He looked lost.

But he looked as handsome as ever, and he was making the girl extremely nervous.

She sat down on the other end of the couch, her side pressed against the arm of the sofa, and she stared blankly at the TV. A heavy silence draped over the two and the tension was suffocating.

Marinette cleared her throat.

Chat Noir coughed.

Both gave each other a sideways glance.

"Soo.."

"Er..."

"Do you... Would you rather talk in my room?"

"I... I guess."

Stiff movements. Pounding hearts. A sneeze.

And then Marinette was sitting in her desk chair, Chat seated on her pink chaise on the other side of the room.

Cue the extremely awkward silence.

"I just thought I would say that...I love you."

Chat raised his head, emerald eyes wide and mouth parted in shock. All he could do was stare at teenager across the room from him.

Marinette was trembling, but she cleared her throat, and she took a deep breath. "I love you," she repeated, stronger than before.

He stood up. His tail flicked silently by his side. His black cat ears twitched.

"I really don't know what to say to that, Princess..."

"I'm so sorry, Chat," she cried, tears dripping down her face. "I wasn't ready for a relationship with you, but I knew that I had feelings, but I was scared... I loved you but I was so afraid, afraid of what others would think of me, of what would happen in the future... I didn't realize that I was hurting you all the same."

Marinette stood up slowly, crossing over to the boy until she threw herself into Chat's chest, sobbing uncontrollably.

The leather-clad boy just stood there, unable to comprehend the weight of her words or actions.

But, almost hesitantly, almost afraid of her writhing emotions, Chat enclosed the girl in his arms, his embrace warm and comforting.

"I... I love you too," he returned, a smile breaking onto his face. He squeezed the still-crying Marinette, and he lifted her in the air, spinning her around. "I... I love you too, Marinette!"

Her sobs died slowly and instead were replaced by fits of joyous laughter, the euphoria of the moment as his words sunk in. He loved her back.

She threw her arms around his neck and pressed her lips against his in a sloppy kiss. He returned her enthusiasm in full fervor, simpering against her soft lips.

But then, a bright green flash echoed throughout the room, causing Marinette to discern herself away from Chat Noir in a flurry.

The flash died, and when Marinette opened her eyes in hesitance, she didn't see Chat Noir.

She didn't see him at all.

She did see, however, a different boy.

With sunkissed skin, sparkling emerald eyes, and golden locks with a slight unruly lilt to them. He had on a black shirt and white button-up, as well as some regular jeans.

The boy groaned, blinking a couple of times, and slowly stood up from his disheveled position sprawled on the floor.

Marinette stared at him.

He stared at Marinette.

Awkward silence draped over them like a soggy blanket.

Things had taken a strange turn.