Chapter One: Sweet Dreams

Marinette slumped onto her bed, groaning loudly as she stared at the clouds through her skylight.

Marinette was a bubbly girl. She liked to smile, liked to help, liked to socialize. She was an agreeable person, and she was fairly well-liked among her classmates and society in general. It helped that she was moderately attractive, her beauty not extraordinary but definitely above average.

Then why did she feel so...

Bland?

Perhaps it was the fact that Chloe had hounded her all day, ridiculing her and teasing her for even the most minuscule of observations.

Perhaps it was the fact that Marinette had learned that her close friend, Nino, had a crush on her. Alya, her best friend, was sympathetic enough, but it still rubbed Marinette the wrong way, seeing as she had always seen Nino as a brother.

Perhaps it was the fact her parents had informed her they would be gone for two weeks, out competing in baking contests, leaving her to manage the bakery and fend for herself at the same time.

Whatever reason the reason, it caused the teenager to slowly deteriorate into a grumpy mood, her mind a pile of dissatisfied mush.

She just wanted to smother herself in pillows and blankets and grumble angrily, except she couldn't stay vexed.

This was most likely because of the small black cat rubbing it's face into her side.

"Hello, Chat Noir," Marinette greeted dolefully, scooping the small green-eyed cat onto her belly. "I've had a rough day. Could you let me rant a bit?"

The cat purred in response, snuggling against the girl's stomach, urging her to speak.

Fingers gliding over soft fur, Marinette pet the cat lazily as she recounted her tales of woe, from Chloe to her parents' absence.

As she ranted, the small black cat purred appreciatively, relishing in the girl's warmth and her undeniably enchanting scent of vanilla and cinnamon.

Least to say, Chat Noir was indeed disgruntled when Marinette stopped petting him.

Growling slightly, Chat pushed his head under the girl's hand, craving her affection, and when Marinette did not respond, he rolled off of her stomach and crept up to her face.

She was sleeping. She had actually fallen asleep ranting to him.

Making a sound that could only be described as a sigh, Chat twitched his nose and cuddled up next to the sleeping girl, his brain bombarded with her aroma of her sweet scent.

Nuzzling her face affectionately, Chat thought, Sweet dreams, Princess.

I love you.