“What a jerk!” Cathy was getting angry, “Dumping all that responsibility on you before a Saturday. Are you sure he’s not single but lonely? I mean what kind of guy doesn’t have plans Saturday nights?!” 

“Hard working men?” Mina wasn’t helping.

Cathy gave her a death stare and Mina immediately apologised. “I’m glad at least you came today and didn’t ditch me for the fund raiser. I guess I can convince my parents for dinner or the worst thing could be to go alone and listen to my brother crack jokes about what a loser I am.”

“I didn’t say entirely no for dinner, I just gave you a warning. I’m sure something will work out in the end” Mina patted Cathy’s back as she stopped the car outside a small boutique.

Cathy awkwardly noticed the hill with the beautiful house where the fund raiser was going to be held the next day which was just a couple of blocks away, opposite the shop they were going to enter. It was surely a beautiful, white house and Cathy had to choose a perfect dress for tomorrow. 

After pointing the house out to Mina, both the girls grabbed their purses and entered the dress shop.

“I’ll start looking here” Mina pointed out to the right corner and Cathy walked over to the left.

There were so many dresses, gowns and formal wear, so many colours and so little time to select the perfect outfit.

Cathy liked a few white gowns and then a few red ones. Mina helped point out that she should buy something simple yet elegant but that combination was not possible in the shop they were in. Cheap dresses didn’t go with elegant quiet right. There was either an extra bow somewhere or the dresses material was too tacky. Some materials did not match with the colours they came in, while the others were too plain to wear to a high - fi fund raiser.

It wasn’t soon enough that Mina suddenly got a call while Cathy was trying on a dress in the changing room.

“Hello?” Mina picked up the phone.

“The Chef’s called in sick. He sent a replacement but it’s not working very well Mina. Boss is out and we need your help! It’s Friday night for heaven’s sake! Please come in for an hour! I beg you Mina” the co-manager yelped at Mina.

“I’m half an hour away, it might take time, is there no way you could do this without me?” Mina negotiated.

“I’ve been trying since an hour. We need you; Carter sir has an important dinner with the accountant tonight along with his parents. It’s important!”

“Carter? Bosses name is Carter?” Mina was taken a back a little.

“Yea! Don’t tell me you didn’t know that!”

“I actually didn’t, I just knew Sam’s name, anyways never mind, I’ll be on my way!”

“Good, good” he said and cut the call. Mina was in a pudding now. She didn’t know what to tell Cathy, she couldn’t tell her to stop shopping and drag her with her, and neither could she leave her all alone in this area although she knew it all her life.

“How’s this one” Cathy walked out of the changing room, in a pink gown with a huge bow near the neck.

“Tacky” Mina responded, “I – I’m sorry I have to go, trouble at the restaurant” she looked really sad.

“Already!” Cathy pouted.

“I don’t know what to do. I have to go, but I can’t drag you with me or ask you to stop shopping”

“Look, I’ve lived here since I was born, I think I’ll be fine. You should go and take my car with you. I can handle myself”

“No no, I’ll take a cab” Mina felt too obliged.