Chap. 6 "No Idea Is the Wrong One."

Start from the beginning

"Cat wait," Shawn said as he grabbed my shoulder and turned me around.

"Touch me one more time, I dare you," I growled through clenched teeth, causing him to quickly remove his hand as if he were touching something hot.

"Please don't tell anyone," he begged, causing me to scoff and roll my eyes.

And to think that I liked this guy...

"Are you going to press charges against River?" I questioned as I raised my eyebrow and crossed my arms.

"No," he said, shaking his head. "I got what I deserved."

I nodded. "Remember that," I said before I turned and continued on my way to my locker without any further interruptions.

"Hey, Cat," Mason greeted as I got to my locker. "How are you?" he softly asked as I opened my locker.

"Fine, thanks," I said, offering him a weak grin.

"Cat, I know I haven't known you for a long time, but I can tell when you're lying. You can talk to me. I am your wife after all."

The last sentence caused an actual smile to appear on my lips. "There's that beautiful smile," he said as he gently ran his thumb across my chin. "Now tell me what happened."

I gave Mason a quick recap of what happened between Shawn and I and by the end, Mason's hands were balled into fists by his sides. "That prick has the nerve to-"

"It's fine, Mason," I said as I placed a hand on his shoulder, causing his to relax a bit. "I'm sure he got the message."

He merely nodded before he placed his hand on top of mine and removed it from his shoulder so he was just holding it. "I'll see you at lunch, alright?"

I nodded, causing him to smile before he gave my hand a light squeeze then he let my hand drop down to my side. As soon as he disappeared, I let out the breath I didn't know I was holding before I closed my locker and headed to math.

♦︎♦︎♦︎♦︎

When I entered Chem. River was already sitting at out desk with his leg bouncing uncontrollably as his eyes nervously bounced around the room. As soon as his brown eyes landed on me, he jumped up. "Hey, Cat. How are you?"

"Fine, thanks," I mumbled, carefully avoiding eye contact as I placed my stuff on the desk before I took a seat, causing River to do the same. Then deafening silence fell over us.

"Did you really do that to Shawn?" I asked as I started playing with my new pencil.

"Cat, look at me," River said, but I shook my head, causing him to sigh. "Look at me," he repeated with a pleading voice, but I kept my eyes trained on my hands.

Suddenly, I felt a warm hand grab my chin and force me to look into River's deep brown orbs. "What's wrong, Cat? And don't start with that 'Nothing' crap, because I can see right through that."

Again, I stayed silent, looking anywhere but River's eyes causing yet another sigh to push past his lips before he slowly released my chin, but his intense stare never left my eyes. I immediately missed his warmth. "Yes, I did do that to Shawn. He deserved it for what he almost forced you into."

He had a look of rage in his eye as those words escaped his lips and his hands were balling into fists. I had to resist the urge to reach out and put a hand on his cheek and try to calm him down, but I knew I couldn't, so I mutely nodded before I turned back toward the front of the class where Miss. Woods was writing today's assignment.

"Cat, please," River begged, causing me to finally look at him and I immediately regretted it. He had a look of pure concern and confusion with a drop of anger swimming in his eyes and I couldn't look away. It was like his eyes were black holes: what goes in never comes back out.