Just another chapter

I woke up to see Asr. I quickly made wudu and made salah. It was 4:21.

I was not sure how to feel or what to feel. I went downstairs to check up on the others. Mom was with Dad having some discussions of their own. And Shahzad was out. I went to the freezer to get some ice cream. I needed to cool off. Ice cream warms my heart and cools my brain. I was about to get back to my room, when the door bell buzzed.

Not to interrupt mom or dad I volunteered to open the door. It was Fatima. I screeched. She screeched. I hugged her. She hugged me. But then I remembered what she did to me last evening. Seeing me mentally switching off and understanding the reason, she immediately produced a basketful of handmade strawberry gummybears and a handwritten note attached to it.

This woman is going places with that kind of expertise in pacifying people. I snatched the basket and opened the note. It read, "I know I was wrong, but seeing my brother happy weighed on me. I didn't betray you, because I can't. Just wanted you back as my sister in law. You're the best there ever will be. No kidding, just this once. I love you. More than Imran. Pretty please, sorry?"

I must have blushed at the specific words in between. You, my reader will know exactly what I'm talking about. Such an honest note. I love my bestie. I hugged her, teary eyed.

"Why even?"

"No no no no, Let me explain. Your Imran isn't as good as you think, he threatened me with calling off my engagement with Shahzad! Can you believe that?"

She realized the disastrous comment she just made within seconds of uttering them. I was gaping at her, for:
1st, taking Shahzad's name for the first time in her life since she actually knew who Shahzad was and what he'd ever mean to her.
And 2nd talking about her engagement, almost like her life depended on it.

I was laughing. Evil laughs. She just made the biggest mistake of her life. She's now going to be in danger of turning into a tomato everytime she'll be in my company. And just as I was about to venture on my new plan of making her life miserable, Shahzad comes in.

"Speak of the devil..."

"What?"

He didn't see Fatima I think. She was sitting on the couch, camouflaged.

"I was just thinking of you"

"Really? What about?"

"About how you're such an eligible bachelor, yet we can't find a proper girl for you."

"Firstly, I know where you're going with this, Second, I do have a proper girl in mind, now will you please excuse me?"

"Ow, 'proper girl', huh? Do I know her?"

"No"

"What???" I was shocked.

"Hmm, you don't need to know her"

He was walking away. When Fatima, frustrated with the sudden turn of events, bolts up and stands with arms crossed, looking at him, indignantly. I was obviously enjoying the drama.

"Care to explain", Fatima seethed.

"Oooh, girl, that boldness", me cheering her on.

"You. Two words. Shut. Up."

"Ohkayy"

Shahzad was too astounded to speak. His ears were red. That's nothing new when he was facing Fatima. He looked flustered. He stammered, "wh.. wha... What.. are you... d.d.d.doing here?"

"Nah, the answer first"

"Whooo...." I made a gesture of feeling hot. "Gettin' real hot in here"