7

LAUREN

I had been jumpy the whole day. That dream really threw me off. I felt like it was real, like I was actually talking to my mother, as if she wasn't dead. I guess what Grayson said could be true, our minds give us things that we want, but don't have.

I needed to talk to someone about it, but no one would understand. I'm not even sure my dad would without thinking I've gone crazy.

"Lauren, you've been ignoring me this entire time," my mate said, flicking my arm.

I glared at him. We were sitting on the end of my bed talking, but I wasn't really listening much. "I'm sorry, I'm just thinking," I replied.

"It was a dream Lauren, we all get them. I've dreamed that my parents were still alive once too," he said.

I looked at him. "What was it like? I mean to be alone for all that time, I don't think I would've been able to do it," I said.

"You're strong Lauren, you would've done what you had to do to survive. That's what I did," he said, looking away.

"I don't think I would've been able to, I'm not that strong. I know I'm a smart ass and act like I'm in charge, but this whole Alpha thing scares the shit out of me," I said.

"Damn, and here I was, ready to see you in charge, it would've been so fucking hot. Now you've ruined it," he said with a pout.

I laughed. "Sorry to ruin your fun."

He moved closer to me, pushing my hair out of my face. I scanned his face, looking at the scar above his right eyebrow.

"How did you get this?" I asked, as I reached out an ran my thumb over it.

He flinched away, grabbing my hand and pushing it down. I frowned, he had never flinched away from my touch before.

"It was just after my pack had been attack. The small group that we had left had set up a camp. We had already been moving around a lot because we were still scared they were after us. We were stupid to let our guard down, because the second we did, they attacked. I got this in a fight, I hadn't shifted yet and a wolf just barely got me," he said.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that," I said, looking into his eyes.

"I'm not. It's made me who I am today, I was weak and defenseless before it all happened," he said.

"You were only seventeen, you still had time to learn," I said.

"Do you think you'd be the same if your mother didn't die?" he asked.

"I don't know. I guess I would, but it wouldn't have made me weaker," I said.

"You're telling me if you had a younger brother, you wouldn't give the Alpha position to him?" he asked.

"No, I'm the first born, I'm the rightful owner of the Alpha position," I said. Why would he ever imply that?

"You said it yourself, you're scared," he said.

"Why are you being like this?" I asked. "I'm not sure I like this side of you."

"What? My truthful side?" he said chuckling.

"It's not the truth, we have different beliefs. Family is never a weakness Grayson," I said.

"I didn't say that. But it is true you know, sometimes the only person you can trust is yourself," he said.

"No it's not, we're all stronger because we have each other," I said defiantly.

"This whole day you've been off, thinking in your own world. You've barely been aware of your surroundings all because you had a dream about your mom. Tell me that doesn't make you weak," he replied.