Disease

Nate tended to avoid select people as much as possible in order to protect himself, for he had a bad case of trust issues and anxiety. It seemed that even close friends were no exception as the ebony musician kept to himself, sometimes purposely canceling meet-ups just to be by himself. He knew he was being selfish, he new he was being cruel, but his anxiety made him seem a bit reserved which really wasn't new. Matt, for example, had originally planned to meet with Nate at E3 but he'd found that the other male had canceled a few days after, sounding tired and stressed about whatever he'd gotten himself into at that time. Matt even approached him on his free time and nearly gave the other a heart attack, his pale face draining of any color that was left.

"Matt, why are you here?" He'd asked, tapping his foot and scratching his neck.

"I'm here to see you, is everything okay?" Matt zeroed in on the unconscious mutilation of skin cells, wondering what could be bothering Nate.

"Everything's fine, just a bit tired and... busy." Nate lied through his teeth, his fingers now twitching at his side to prevent himself from scratching at his neck.

That conversation had all but lasted a few more minutes before Nate expressed his gratitude for Matt checking up on him, then excusing himself back home after saying a frenzied goodbye. Matt couldn't decide whether Nate was intentionally avoiding him or if his words were more truthful than he knew, but it was obvious that something was wrong. That conversation had been a week ago and now Matt was really getting nervous, Nate hadn't answered his calls or responded to his texts, despite what the ebony had said prior. The theorist promised himself that he'd only call one more time and if Nate didn't pick up he would see the musician himself, which is what he ended up doing.
One ring... two rings... three rings... not even a voicemail!

Before Matt knew it he was driving to Nate's house, his exhaustion from the wee hours of the morning being drowned out by his own racing heart. If he didn't know better he'd think that Nate was trying to kill himself, but not everyone who acts like him plans on ending their life. But once he parked his car this strange feeling crept in and it wasn't long before he was on the porch, knocking on the door before realizing it was unlocked. The front hallway was dark but Matt could hear someone rummaging around in drawers, which put him on edge. He silently crept into the kitchen and found Nate at the sink, holding his head in his hands and practically leaning his full weight onto the counter.

"Nate?" Matt whispered, startling the pale one into falling onto the floor.

"Matt? What the hell are you doing here?" Nate's voice was frantic, his body curling in on itself.

"I came to see you, I want you to tell me what's wrong, right here, right now!" Matt held a sternness in his voice but his features remained calm.

"Just go away, Matt, I'm so tired of you being around!" It was obvious that Nate had given up but his stubborn nature didn't allow the theorist to get any closer.

"I don't care, you're going to tell me." Matt demanded.

By now Matt had gotten closer to Nate regardless of his protests, but as soon as a hand was laid on his shoulder the musician stood up on shaky legs and bolted upstairs to make his escape. Matt hadn't gotten a chance to catch up to the ebony and it was no surprise when he followed him to his room and he found the door locked, Nate's small whimpers being heard from inside. It seemed like Nate hated him and for what?

"Just go away, Matt, I'm so tired of you being around!"

Matt stopped pulling on the door handle and replayed those words in his head, had he been oblivious to what Nate was trying to say to him? Was he constantly around? He thought back to when Nate's reclusive nature officially started and nearly slapped himself, nearly every week Matt would visit him and ask him if he was doing okay and not once did he suspect that he was the problem. But how? Matt had only been looking out for him. Matt placed his back against Nate's bedroom door and slowly slid down, bringing his knees up and trying to makes sense of everything.

"Was it me?" Matt asked himself, hoping to find confirmation in his own voice. "Did I do this to you?"

He didn't know what he expected, but it definitely wasn't an answer.

"No... I can't say it..." Nate's uneven voice sounded closer than he thought.

"Then, why?" Matt asked, all the confusion finally getting to him and causing tears of frustration to collect at the corners of his eyes. "Why do you ignore me?"

"I... I can't... I'm sorry..." Nate tried to find the right words, but even he didn't know what was wrong with him.

"If you want me to leave, then just fucking say it." Matt breathed, getting choked up and even more confused.

Nate was startled by the abrupt swearing but he didn't say anything, he didn't dare, because right now he knew that if he really wanted Matt to leave he would've told him hours ago when he first walked through that door. His heart raced as he unlocked the door and pulled it open with inhuman speed, quick long latching himself onto Matt in a sort of hug, clinging to his back in an attempt to make him stay. If he was going to say something it'd be best if it was something better than an apology, maybe thank you? No, that wasn't what he was trying to say at all. While Nate fussed over what to say Matt sat there in shock, feeling arms wrapped around his torso and a warm body being pressed against his back was something he wasn't exactly accustomed to but he quickly got used to it after he realized that Nate had finally opened the door.

"I love you, goddammit..." Nate muttered, nuzzling his head against Matt's back. "You're like a fucking disease!"

"I know, but I love you too." Matt was released and it was no surprise when he turned around to look Nate straight in the eyes.

There was a long silence before Matt softly kissed Nate, grasping onto his arms and getting as close as he could. Nate placed his hands on Matt's chest and practically strangled his shirt, the feeling from the kiss was overwhelming, his heart practically exploded and a feeling unlike any other courses through him. Once Matt pulled away he was pulled back in, barely allowed any time to catch his breath before something different entirely invaded his senses. Nate honestly didn't know how he'd survived so long without him.