-vi-

Rylan

The ropes cut into my chest. They looped around my arms and neck and torso. I ran forward, deeper into the woods and I was yanked back. The ends of the ropes were held by hands whose bodies were melted into darkness. The faceless people snickered and tugged me back enjoying watching me struggle.

Ahead of me, my father sat in his Victorian arm chair that sat in his study. I tried and failed to reach him repeatedly and he just stared ahead in silent approval. Approval of me or approval of those who constrained me, I didn't know.

A woman stood behind him, head held down. Her dark, wavy hair covered her face. Her hands were gripping the intricately carved wood that bordered the silky fabric of the chair. Even without her looking up, I knew who she was.

I opened my mouth to scream to her and beg for her to look up and save me. I wanted to beg for her to put a stop to the madness that was going on with no dispute from my father. When my lips parted and I went to yell, no sound came from me but the snickering escalated, possibly doubling.

My body fell to the cold, wet ground and I was stabbed and scraped by sticks and rocks. I tried grabbing at anything I could as I was dragged backward through the forest. My fingers and toes dug into the ground. I tried getting back up onto my hands and knees. I flipped onto my back and tried holding the ropes. Nothing worked.

Finally I gave in, my body went limp and I turned my head to watch my father and mother, him watching, her turning a blind eye until I woke up.

My phone was ringing and my neck was throbbing from falling asleep with my head laying on my desk in such an awkward position. I spent my morning meeting with a potential investor and as soon as I got back into the office and shut the door, I conked out. That wasn't the first time I had that dream. Each time I had it I woke feeling distressed and trapped. I needed to get out of the office and get some air.

The phone stopped ringing and started back up again immediately. It was Grace. She wouldn't stop until I answered. I picked it up while I stretched my neck from side to side.

"Hello."

"I think I'm outside of your office but I wanted to be sure before I came in," she said. How the hell had she found my office?

I sighed deeply before asking, "Where are you?"

"By a Starbucks. Wait I think I see your car," she said.

I heard some shuffling then it sounded like Grace was speaking to someone else and I couldn't make out what was being said. Before I could ask, there was a knock at my office door. I stood to open it and our receptionist, Lindsay was standing there and Grace stood behind her. I nodded in silent agreement to Lindsay before she went back to her desk and Grace walked in. It was the first time I considered making some type of rule or protocol for office visitors.

We were a small start-up and not many people visited our plain, white-walled office that was filled with second-hand cubicles. We didn't even conduct meetings in the office. Some part of me felt slightly ashamed that Grace was there to see it but I quickly swiped the shame aside with the realization that I worked for that office and earned it.

"Your office is so...quaint," she said. I took a deep breath and kept my lips sealed to avoid an argument.

"I went to Le Chateau today," she continued, "I thought I'd bring you the filet mignon you used to enjoy so much," she said, handing me a plastic to-go container of food that smelled amazing.

"Thank you Grace but you should have called before coming."

"What did you think that was on the phone just now, silly," she asked.