viii

"hey colin." hayes said smugly, his phone in one hand, the other slightly gripping the steering wheel.

"hayes! how's the dinner date doing? are you two having fun?" colin's voice sounded crackly and distant.

"yeah, about the dinner date. shay and i weren't really feeling it, you know? we decided to plan our own date." hayes turned his head, winking at me.

"what kind of date?"

"we're going home." hayes said into the phone.

"home? i hope you mean home by your la home." colin chuckled nervously.

"no, i mean my real home. i'm going back to carolina, and shay is coming with."

"hayes, you're hilarious, really, but i don't appreciate your jokes." colin drawled.

"oh, i'm not joking. see you in a few weeks, colin." hayes hung up, tossing his phone into the backseat. almost 5 seconds later, it started to ring again, most likely colin calling back.

i laughed as hayes turned to me, smiling. "how was that?"

"couldn't have said it any better myself." i nodded.

"now what about your sister?" hayes asked, pulling the car into the airport parking lot. i sighed. we were really doing this.

"i guess i'll just text her? she's probably studying or partying anyway, she won't get it till the morning." i said. she'd be okay with this. wouldn't she?

i quickly texted her the plan, making it sound as basic as it could.

as soon as we exited the car, hayes took my hand and pulled me toward the airport entrance.

"don't look so nervous, shay. this is gonna be so much fun." hayes pulled me along with him through the airport and to the desk.

"are you sure we can just buy airline tickets out of the blue like this?" i ask.

hayes had on a hood and sunglasses to protect his identity. "i got this, shay."

i stood a few steps behind him as he walked confidently to the desk. he removed his glasses and took off his hood, looking at the young women who was typing away at her computer.

"hey, is it possible for me, hayes grier, to get two tickets for direct flights to charleston?" hayes leaned against the desk cockily, smiling.

the women's eyes widened. she didn't look much older than us, maybe only by four or five years, so she obviously knew who he was. "of-of course, mr. grier!" she click-clacked at her keyboard, and within seconds, two tickets were slapped into hayes' palm.

"thanks." he winked at the women, taking my hand again and leading me to another destination. he had a habit of randomly grabbing my hand, and i wasn't sure if i liked it or not yet.

"wow." i said, looking up at hayes.

"a bit offended, but i guess i'll let it slide since your paying for my flight." i squeeze his hand. "thanks, by the way."

he looks at me. "i should be thanking you."

we just stare at each other again, something we've been doing quite a lot lately.

"anyway, the lady said our flight takes off in an hour and a half. so how about we have that dinner date?" hayes asks, nodding at the food court.

"airport date? classy." i say sarcastically.

"only the classiest for my girl." he swings our hands back and forth, grinning.

as soon as we pick a restaurant, (panda express, because according to hayes, it's the most top notch airport restaurant) we sit down.

"tell me about north carolina." i rest my head on my hand and look at hayes. as soon as i mention the states name, his eyes light up. it's adorable.

"oh man, i could go on forever. it's so beautiful shay. the best place to grow up. it's open and free, unlike la. there's places to run around, there's a lake. i definitely have to take you to the lake, it's incredible. and our house is huge, not like the tiny la apartments." hayes said. after he finished he took a bite of his orange chicken. "but you grew up here, right?"

i nod. "la, born and raised. my parents moved from arizona in hope to escape the heat but la wasn't much better." i laughed. "they had my sister, then me, then when i was about nine, they got a divorce."

hayes frowned.

"since my dad was moving back to arizona, i had to pick between living with my mom and living with my dad. i picked living with my sister because i couldn't decided."

"i'm sorry shay." he gave me a sympathetic smile.

"it's whatever. i kind of regret it though, my sister is always gone and i'm usually home alone. i haven't seen my mom in months, and my dad in years, probably."

"really? why?" he asked.

"i don't know. i just never really felt like i needed too, i guess. i had stephanie. but she's never home and i guess i just got lonley."

"you have me." hayes smiled, shrugging. "even though sometimes i'm a dick."

"you've become less of a dick." i pointed out.

"because of you."

i blushed. "eat your chicken."

hayes smirked.

after we finished eating, we threw our trash away and walked to the gate.

"before we get on, i'm just gonna say that i hate planes." i said, beginning to grow nervous. ever since i was little I've had a feat of planes. it's not like i couldn't go on them, i just didn't particularly enjoy them.

"you could have mentioned that, shay." hayes laughed. "it's fine, i'll protect you from the scary plane."

"wow, thanks."

"no problem, babe." he winked.

the plane was the nicest one i'd ever seen. all i'd ever flown was coach, and first class was a big step up.

"this is nice." i breathed. "maybe the fancy plane will make my fear go away." i said as i sunk into a huge leather seat.

hayes laughed, taking the seat next to me. "you're pretty cute, shay."

+

hellloooo

sorry i ended this in kind of an awkward place i didn't know where to stop 😂

anyway i hope you guys like this chapter 😇💘

thanks for reading and all the support on this book!! especially you gigi 😉

love, emily 💖