iv

sunday approached quickly, causing me to grow worried as the time for hayes' and i's first 'date' grew near.

colin had said that i was to come back to the building we had first met in to get my hair and makeup done before the award show. i'd never gotten my hair or makeup professionally done before, usually i just did it myself or had cara do it.

speaking of cara, i still hadn't told her about the whole 'dating' hayes thing. i waved the thought out of my mind. i had a beauty appointment to get to. i was actually excited about this, getting all dolled up for the show. i knew i would enjoy that, because hanging out with hayes all night probably wouldn't be the most fun.

i had a half hour to get back to colin's office to meet the women who was supposedly getting me ready for the show.

the drive took forty minutes. apparently downtown is busy on a sunday afternoon; traffic and people flooded the entire area, making it impossible to get to colin's office on time.

"you're late." were the first words that left colin's mouth as soon as i arrived in his office, out of breath and tired.

"i'm know, i'm sorry, downtown was busy and i couldn't-"

"shh, we don't have time. sit." colin patted an empty chair next to a woman with flaming red hair and thick eyeliner, who was carrying a large briefcase. a rack of beautiful dresses was in the corner of the room.

"shay, hayley, hayley, shay. now work that magic." colin gestured toward hayley and left the room. "i'm going to find hayes!"

"so you're shay! you're adorable, i love your hair, and oh! your eyes are gigantic, they're going to be so fun to put makeup on. sit!" she patted the seat as colin had, opening her large case. inside was probably the most makeup i had ever seen at once.

"wow." i breathed. "that's a lot of makeup."

"of course it is! now, what would look good with your skin tone." hayley held up a few eyeshadows against my cheek, mumbling aimlessly to herself.

"olive! perfect." she opened the palette and dusted the shadow onto my lids. after about a half hour of applying, reapplying, and more reapplying, it was time for me to pick out a dress.

"now, it's completely your choice but this is more of a carefree event. i would pick a dress that's fun and summer-y. you know?"

i nod, sifting through the many dresses hayley had brought with her. "these are all so pretty." i sigh.

hayley grinned. "how about this one?" she pulled off a pale pink halter dress with thin straps. my eyes immediately lit up, grabbing the dress from her hands and taking it off the hanger. "this is so pretty, hayley."

"pretty dress for a pretty girl!" she smiled. "go try it on." she shooed me towards the bathroom.

it was gorgeous. i smoothed out the material, spinning around and letting myself enjoy how i looked for once.

"do you think this looks okay?" i asked, coming out of the room expecting to see hayley, but instead was hayes. his eyes widened and his mouth parted slightly.

"where's hayley?" i huffed. "i want her opinion on this."

"you don't want my opinion?"

"it's probably mean and negative."

"i was going to say you look really pretty."

i raised a brow a him. "really? no other comments? no little remarks? i'm very surprised, grier."

he smirked, shaking his head slowly. "you're something, shay."

i tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. "oh, i know."

"no compliments for me?" hayes held his arms out, spinning around to give me a look at his ensemble. he wore a white t-shirt covered by an oversized red flannel, along with black jeans. if i was being completely honest, he looked great.

"you look alright." i shrug nonchalantly.

"alright? that's all i get?" he frowned.

"kidding. you look good." i smiled.

"you know what shay?"

"hm?"

"we haven't fought in 2.5 minutes."

"really?" i ask. "i think we're improving."

"i guess so. let's get this over with." i let hayes pull me out the door and downstairs, to the parking lot and into the car. excuse me, limo. we had a limo. my jaw dropped as i climbed inside, sliding onto the leather interior.

"this is so cool!" i gasped.

hayes chucked. "never been in a limo?"

"why would i have been in a limo?"

hayes shrugged. "knowing you, somehow you'd find your way into one."

"what are you saying?"

hayes just smirked and shrugged.

"don't just shrug!" i playfully shove his shoulder. "i thought we weren't gonna fight tonight."

"you're right. i'm sorry."

"did i just hear the hayes grier apologize?" i fake-gasp, covering my hand with my mouth.

hayes frowned. i knitted my eyebrows in confusion, wondering what i had said to offend him.

"what?" i turn my head to the side.

"the hayes grier. i hate that."

"hayes, i didn't mean to make you mad-"

"no, shay, no. it's not you. i just hate that because i'm famous, everything has to change for me. i'm treated differently, people act different around me. it's just weird, is all. i hate it." his eyes grew sad and his tone became heavy with sadness and disappointment. it made me sad.

"i didn't know you felt that way. i thought you liked being famous."

"i do. well, i did. but it's been getting harder and harder lately."

i stayed silent, just looking at him while he casually picked at his thumbnail. i didn't know what to say except 'i'm sorry', and i know that he probably didn't want to hear that. i know i wouldn't.

we stayed silent for the rest of the ride, until the chauffeur parked the car and announced that we had arrived.

we were in for a big night.

--

yo yo yo!!! this book is sm fun to write omg :))

hope your having a good day!! i graduate tmrw :((

thanks for reading! vote, comment, add, share !!!