vi

waking up in a hospital is much less climactic than it seems in those dramatic hospital tv shows. there were no doctors huddled around my bed, none of my family members or friends were here, and hayes wasn't either.

i rubbed my eyes and sat up, the hospital bed making uncontrollable creaking noises. my head felt heavy and i felt overly tired.

i wasn't sure what to do next, should i yell for a doctor? probably not, that would cause a lot of unnecessary chaos. i decided to just wait until a doctor came to me.

it was at least fifteen minutes before someone finally decided to open the door. but it wasn't a doctor, it was colin.

"shay, that was a very clever thing to do last night. a fake panic attack? oh lord, the press is already all riled up." colin laughed and clapped his hands in excitement.

i furrowed my eyebrows and shook my head slowly. "what are you talking about? i had a real panic attack."

colin squinted his eyes, looking puzzled. "what? oh, god..."

"why the hell would i fake a panic attack? and fainting? where's hayes?"

with that, he came into the room. he looked completely nonchalant, which would have confused me but now didn't. colin must have told him that i faked the panic attack.

"she wasn't faking." colin turned to hayes.

"i told you colin, i fucking told you." hayes raised his voice. "and you wouldn't let me see her."

colin shushed him and shut the door. "don't use that tone with me."

hayes ignored him and walked over to my bed, a look of fear written over his face.

"i'm so sorry, shay. colin thought it was a fake panic attack and i tried to tell him that it looked real but he didn't believe me. he wouldn't let me see you. i'm sorry-"

i smiled. "hayes, hey, it's fine, don't worry. i'm fine."

"i just feel horrible. i feel like i abandoned you." he sat in the uncomfortable looking chair next to my bed and sighed. colin was still standing in the doorway with his arms crossed over his chest. neither of us bothered to pay any attention to him.

"yes well, she's fine now. come on hayes, you have a meeting in an hour." colin checked his phone that was clipped to his belt and beckoned hayes over.

"no, i'm going to stay here with shay." hayes said without taking his eyes off me. his eyes were so blue, like bottom of the ocean blue. the color almost seemed unreal.

colin took a deep breath as an irritated expression crossed his face. hayes stayed put.

"hayes, i really think it would be a good idea to attend this meeting. it's for a very high-paying movie roll and-" colin said calmly until hayes cut him off.

"i don't care, colin. i'm going to stay here with shay until i know she's okay, because apparently i can't trust you to tell me the truth of what actually happened." hayes shot back. i felt so useless just laying there like an idiot, i didn't know if i should intercept my opinion or just stay out of it.

"hayes, it's okay, really. i'm fine, you should go to your meeting." i said quietly.

"shay..." he looked worried as he turned back to face me. his eyes had gigantic bags under them and the grey t-shirt he was wearing was wrinkled. his hair was disheveled as well. he looked utterly overtired.

"it's fine. go. and then get some rest, you look like you haven't slept in weeks."

"says the girl who just had a panic attack." hayes grinned, standing to his feet. "are you sure you don't want me to stay?"

"i'll be out of here soon enough, how long can they keep me here for a panic attack?"

hayes nodded in agreement. "i'll see you tomorrow."

"tomorrow? what for?" i yelled to him. he had already left the room and was probably out of earshot.

"colin has something planned." hayes popped his head back in the door and shrugged.

after hayes left, i watched a bit of tv and then checked my phone. mostly just texts from my older sister, whom was my primary 'caretaker', if that. my parents divorced when i was about nine, forcing me to choose between which one i wanted to live with. as a nine year old, that decision was almost impossible. my parents finally agreed that i should live with my sister in los angeles. my sister was twenty and a student at ucla. she was a good sister, but her maternity skills were a bit underdeveloped. not that i blamed her, she was a college student and was busy twenty four seven. it had its perks, like being able to go out whenever i want and basically not being under the influence of any rules. but it was also tough when you needed a mother figure and all you had was a busy sister.

when i told her i was going to be paid to date a famous celebrity, her only words of advice were 'good luck'.

she had sent me a few texts saying that she probably wouldn't be back until about one am because she was studying with friends then going to a party. it was only ten pm.

i also had a text from cara that made my stomach churn.

cara: why the fuck do i see you on the teen choice awards?!!!!!!????

cara: shay?? tell me what's going on

i sighed. it was time to tell her. i was risking a lot. i was risking the entire school finding out, i was also risking my friendship with cara. but i knew it was the best thing to do.

shay: i have to tell you something

+

shiiiittt

another cliffhanger yikes

hope you enjoyed :)) sorry not much shayes in this but there is A LOT coming up so don't worry your pretty little heads, also ik this chapter is kind of boring sorry :(

thanks for reading!! ily if you did !!

love, emily 💘💘💘💘