A Scream

"Stan can we take a break? We haven't slept in a whole day," Asked Mabel.

"No." Stan replied firmly, "that night gave us some time and that time is getting us closer to your brother. The shadows should be making him weaker. We need to get him out of his horrible place."

"What are the shadows about anyway?"

"It's hard to explain. They're souls, but instead of being floating humans or ghost-like they become just shadows because they can't support being a whole person anymore. Since souls can't die in this place they try and feed off the living so you, me and your brother. When they feed off of you you get weaker and weaker."

Mabel moved closer to Stan and held his arm. "Don't worry they usually feed off the sleeping," Stan and Mabel followed Dippers wrappers past the forks in the road in the darkness and finally made it to a hill. Not knowing their way home was on the other side, they sat down leaning up against 2 trees. Mabel was to afraid to lay down after the story Stan had told her.

"Don't worry, I won't let the shadows get you." Mabel put her head on the mossy ground but was instantly interrupted by an ear splitting scream coming from up ahead in the path. Mabel and Stan darted forward following Dippers scream.