Third Time's a Charm

(WARNING: I understand there is some sort of law that you aren't supposed to make ALL the characters in love with you and blah blah, but this particular character tends to flirt with anything with boobs, therefore he flirts with Cali a lot. Get over it.)

My hands trembled violently as I stared at the small, wooden box before me.  Its black paint wasn't so much as chipped and its golden hinges still shined in the window light, even through the thick coat of dust. The box alone had some sort of ominous aura. I couldn't stand to think of what could be inside.

Taking a deep, shaky breath, I took the edge of the lid between my thumb and index finger. I felt the other five boys surrounding the table flinch, likely as intimidated by it as I was. Could you blame us? After last weeks incident, we were all a little... shaken. Even Chucky wasn't sure how exactly he ended up in that box. So when this one showed up in the mailbox this morning, we were more than terrified.

"Would you just open it already?" Freddy tried to sound aggressive, but his voice was small. "I have shit to do."

I was expecting some sort of sarcastic response from one of the others, but nobody seemed interested in arguing. All eyes were on the box. So, I slowly pushed it open, scooting as far back in the chair as possible.

A wave of relief washed over me, and the room seemed to feel a little less tense. Inside was a brown block, fitting the box almost perfectly. Freddy scoffed and began to turn around when Jason grabbed his arm.

Suddenly, the block began moving. It fell apart piece by piece, and all I could do is stare before it processed-- That block was thousands of bugs clumped together. My stomach turned as I jumped up out of my seat and pushed my back against the wall. Ghostface let out a scream and scrambled to the living room, the other four simply taking a step back. The bugs scattered every which way, but seemed to disappear once they reached the edge of the table where they were supposed to fall off.

After the bugs were gone, I blinked a few times to make sure I hadn't imagined it. I almost managed to convince myself until I noticed one final bug lying dead in the middle of the box.

"... What?" Is all I could manage to choke out.

"Beetles," Jason muttered, pointing down at the box. "Magic beetles."

Freddy rolled his eyes and dragged himself back into the living room without a word. I slowly reached in and picked up the bug, smashing it between my fingers with a loud crunch. Just for the hell of it, I walked up to Ghostface and rested my hand on his shoulder, bug guts still coating my fingertips.

"Yeah?"

"I just wanted to make sure you're..." I ran my fingers down his chest to his waist. "... Okay."

Ghostface gave me a weird look before glancing down at the trail I created on his robe. Another scream erupted from his throat. "DID YOU JUST WIPE BEETLE JUICE ON ME?!" I smiled and nodded. He slapped my hand and ran into the bathroom, making inhuman noises the whole way. I swear I could hear Freddy chuckle, but he would never admit to that.

I shuffled into my room and plopped down on the bed. Jason, who had also found his way in there, gave me a disgusted look. "You're not gonna wash your hands?"

"Why?" I asked, reaching towards him. "You want some Beetle Juice too?"

Jason shot me a threatening look, so I drew back but not without lightly touching his leg. He made some sort of hissing noise and frantically looked for stains.

The entire house remained in an uncomfortable, unusually-quiet state. Even I didn't have much to say, which was surprising. Jason toyed with his phone while I spaced out. He would occasionally lean over and snap or clap in my face, but within a few seconds I was thinking again.