Wax

The taunting birthday chant I could barely remember the lyrics to ended and I looked at my mom in confusion of what to do next. The candles on the cake started dripping wax on the frosting. Blow them out! Hitching my breath I let a gust of my breath flick the flames off and my sister Ellis clapped. She eagerly picked the wax sticks out of the food and sucked on the ends. I wonder if I ever did that as a kid. "Mum?" She flicked her long blonde hair over her shoulder and smiled at me. Sadly I ripped my head up. "How old am I again?"

Her smile faded. I was trying. Trying too hard to remember things. It was getting better for myself, but my constant questions didn't make her feel like I was. "Twenty two Violet." Wow. Twenty two? I was barely turning nineteen when the issue happened. "But aside from that," she set down a slice of cake for me. "your dad and I know you're planning on moving out soon. Are you sure you still want to? At least wear off the amnesia beforehand?" I shook my head.

"Mum it wasn't that much brain trauma. I'll be fine."

"Three years in a coma sounds like a lot of trauma to me." Zach mumbled while poking at his food. He kept his head low, his hair in his face and always a sad stretched face. Was he always like that? Even when I wasn't around? I still have so much to relearn about my siblings.

"Zachary! Be nice to your sister she's sick for gods sake." My mother snapped.

"I'm not fucking sick. I'm fine I just can't remember a lot." I stood up without touching my food or presents. "I'm going to pack the rest of my stuff." It made me so angry when they called me sick. I'm not sick. I was never sick. Only injured. A coma is a coma not a disease.

Even though it angered me for them to call me sick I was also ashamed for the choices I made. I can faintly remember the moments before blacking out for the next three years. Sadie Marcus, a senior at my school was racing her dumb friends at lunch in a neighborhood by my house. On the way back to school I had glanced at my clock to make sure I wasn't late. I came right in path with her souped up sports car. Bam, I instantly was smashed on the drivers side of the vehicle. I tumbled out the other side, my whole body was numb, my ears rung and I blacked out bleeding from my mouth.

May second 2013 I slipped into a coma with severe brain damage and didn't wake up until June first 2016. Thus I woke up with amnesia, bronchitis, and a serious migraine that lasted days. But after several weeks of medicines and emotional rehab. I made it just in time to come home for my birthday. It's now June twentieth...my basically first birthday all over again. I can barley remember anything but a few moments before the coma and anything after. School wise I remembered everything. Somehow my education never wanted to leave me, and starting college soon I was a nervous wreck.

My dad knocked on my bedroom door, coming in with a slight smile but nothing much. I was surprised he even came over to my mums. They basically hate each others guts but stand a few hours in the same room for my sake. "You left your cards down there."

"I don't want them." I mumbled laying under the quilt on my side. He came to sit on the edge of my bed. Handing over a blue envelope.

"I think you'll want to open mine more than you think." Sighing I say up and started to tear the paper with my canines. He watched me with a smile as I pulled out the colorful card. I read slowly taking in the pre-printed text then my dads decent handwriting. A few dollars fell out while I read. A lot more than I would want him to spend but I knew it's for the apartment. A simple letter, at the bottom was an address.

"What's that?" I pointed.

"I'm dropping you off there tomorrow. It's a surprise."

>>>

Tomorrow came fast, and I started to worry once I realized I had to get in the car. That was my one issue ever since the accident was that I never wanted to get in any car. I have the terrible paranoia that anything could happen. Ever since I've been home I haven't left unless I walked somewhere. The good part was I was asleep when they brought me home so there was no panic. Another good part was I got a new car. It's not the best but it's doable.

I stood in the drive while my dad came out and got in without hesitation. Folding my arms I bit my lip and looked at the black machine roaring to life. "Honey, I know it's hard but you can't live off the shoe lace express. You've gotta face your fears dear." With one last heavy breath I sighed and started to get in, instantly buckling myself in. He gave me a smile and started to drive. My hands tightened around the seat belt over my chest. My heart raced. Watching ever scenery zipping past until I realized we made it to our detestation. My heart rate stopped beating so fast when I realized where we were.

Animal adoption.