Nine: On the Bright Side, the Floor's Comfier Than I Expected

Börja om från början

            Why is she even bothering to lie? Her untruths are so transparent – it’s obvious that all six of us can see through them. Well, maybe not Blake. Following a stolen glance, I notice that his gaze is directed at her, and he has a slight smile on his face that makes me want to puke. Even though that’s probably the result of the insane jealousy that I am experiencing.

            “Don’t worry about it.” I force a smile onto my face, even though it almost pains me to do so. Seriously, how does Cindy keep up with this the whole time?

            “As long as you’re not mad.”                                                        

            “Nope.” Actually, I’m glad you didn’t come to visit. I think I’ll leave that part out...

            A silence settles over the table after my answer leaves my lips. I dig my fork into my food and bring it to my mouth, hoping this will serve as my excuse for not trying to kick start the conversation. It’s not as good as yesterday, but the standards are nowhere near as low as the ones in the school cafeteria. My school back in Bay City, Michigan, is probably the crappiest looking school you’ll ever come across, with the food to match. So anything they serve at camp (even if it’s Cindy’s mutilated blonde head) is good compared to those lunches.

            “So you up for the activities tomorrow?”

            Blake’s voice startles me slightly, and even more so when I realize he’s talking to me. “Oh, um...”

            “They’re still on the lake.”

            I grimace. “I think I’ll pass. I don’t really fancy another drowning incident.”

            Blake sighs, shaking his head as he bites into a fry his fork has speared. “You should know how to swim by now. I won’t always be around to drag you to the shore.”

            “I’m sure I would’ve managed to get out by myself...”

            I am interrupted by a stifled snort from Tom’s direction. Immediately, my head snaps to him and shoots a questioning look in his direction.

            “You would not have got out by yourself,” he says, still in the midst of repressed laughter. “You would have been waving your arms around for another five minutes before you finally sunk to the bottom.”

            “Aren’t you supposed to wear life jackets whilst you’re kayaking, anyway?” Danny raises his eyebrows from across the wooden table.

            Well, no one had told me that. Although, even if they had, I would’ve been reluctant to obey anyway. That fluorescent orange? So not flattering, especially when your skin happens to be as pale as mine. Don’t even get me started on how orange clashes with everything...

            My train of thought is interrupted suddenly by a loud crash coming from the other side of the room. I snap my head instantly in that direction in an attempt to identify the cause of the intense noise. That’s when realization strikes me… the cold hard (increasingly familiar) realization that triggers an unpleasant sinking feeling in my stomach.

            “Oh my God!” Cindy screams. She turns to me. “Isn’t that one of the boys in your cabin?”

            She’s referring to the dark haired boy in the middle of the cafeteria, who is currently engaged in a violent brawl with another kid. This involves Jake lying on top of the victim, whilst continuing to punch the crap out of him.