The Kidnap

Her deep brown locks jumped up and down, Apollo's sun bringing a red glow to it. The young spring Goddess loved to run and play in the fields near her house. Demeter would never let her beloved daughter much further, afraid of the male Gods with their continous begging to marry her precious Persephone. She had received many gifts from Apollo and Hermes, two of her suitors. Demeter disapproved both of them, claiming no-one was good enough for her daughter. Little did the harvest godess know, she was to lose her darling daughter to her worst enemy quite soon. But for now Persephone was safe, with her friends, the nymphs, playing and laughing. After a while, they grew tired, and fell down in the grass, their fingers playing with the green strands. 

"So, what's up with the never-ending battle between your mother and your suitors?" One of the nymphs asked, receiving a groan in return. 

"She's never going to let me marry anyone!" Persephone rolled over onto her stomach. "Father says it's time for me to marry. Apollo's been... showing interest he says." The godess giggled at the thought. 

"So you like Apollo?" 

"Of course I do!" Persephone answered. "It'd be perfect. The sun and the spring, it's a perfect match! And considering my father approve, I'd say it's a match made in heaven. Literally."

All of them burst out in laughter. "Well, you should thank your father." One of the girls suggested. "Let's get together a nice bouquet to thank him!"

They took their baskets, browsing the field for the prettiest of flowers. "I do hope we'll find a narcissus!" The young godess exclaimed, unaware of why her father had told her it was his favorite flower just a few weeks ago.

Zeus had planted this seed in Persephone's mind because of his older brother, Hades. He had been watching Persephone ever since she started developing curves. He craved her the second she became a woman, and begged Zeus for her hand in marriage. Zeus had refused for months on end, but Hades had one very strong argument. He couldn't be down in the Underworld alone. He didn't just crave for a Queen of his own, he needed one. And with the number of deaths rising, Zeus knew he really did need help. So, at last, Zeus agreed. Demeter would never agree, and therefore, the plan needed to be kept hidden from her. They had to kidnap Persephone in a place where Demeter let her go, but did not watch her. The fields.

Persephone had a basket filled with all sorts of flowers, poppies, daisies and exquisite wild roses. But that's when a bright yellow caught her eye. "A narcissus!" She exclaimed excitedly, sprinting towards it. 

"Persephone!" One of the girls yelled, following her. "Not too fast! Your mother'll get suspicious!"

Persephone didn't seem to hear the protests, or at least, she gave no sign of hearing it. She knelt, getting green stains all over her dress, to pluck the flower, but it wouldn't let loose from the ground. She kept on pulling, until suddenly it released, causing Persephone to fall down. That's when the ground split open, revealing a giant crack of pure darkness. 

Intrigued, Persephone tried to see into the darkness, when a pale arm grabbed her sunkissed arm, pulling her into the unknown.