vii. In Which They Meet Again (and again, and again...)

Ok but he's so hot????

The small hours of the morning are an odd place between dreams and reality

The small hours of the morning are an odd place between dreams and reality. The sun is not yet up, and yet the sky cannot escape its light; the air is cool and crisp; and the world, for once, is quiet. It's the best type of alone, the early morning. When everybody is asleep, dreaming their individual dreams, oblivious to the world and the mess of responsibility that awaits them once they wake, and you feel you're the only person alive. This is what Zayn feels as leans out of the window of his apartment, a hundred metres from the ground. His eyes are closed as he inhales deeply and the cold stings his nose and his arms and his bare chest, but it reminds him that he is alive. He is alive, and Diamond is coming over. Diamond is coming over, and now he's extra alive.

Another glance at the clock. 3:49 A.M. Five minutes. A grin breaks out on Zayn's lips and he cannot suppress a small giggle. Five minutes until he sees her again. Five minutes until he can touch her skin and play with her hair and make her feel special. Five minutes until he is Ultra-Alive™. Impatiently, he taps his fingers on the windowsill, humming a tune he does not recognise. A simple melody. His eyes widen and his jaw drops. A tune he does not recognise. It's been years since he was able to write a song. His mind is buzzing. After so many years of silence, his mind is buzzing.

A rhythmic click of heels against the pavement breaks him from his reverie, causing him to look to see who could possibly be crazy enough to walk around this late when it was freezing. Sure enough, the bouncing head of blonde curls reveals it's the woman he's waiting for, and, despite seeing nothing but a cloud of hair protruding from a huddled coat, Zayn's heart skips three beats. She's early. Only by about two minutes, but she's early. And she walked. Zayn's brow furrows. He could have easily picked her up around the corner from her home. What if she gets ill and it's his fault?

His eyes don't leave her as she walks up the steps to his building until she disappears from his sight and the streets are empty, and he goes back to being the only person awake in the entire world. Except that he isn't anymore, so he shuts the window and rushes to his front door and pulls it open just as the elevator dings down the hall. Diamond spots him when the doors open, her steps faltering when she takes him in, standing shirtless on his doormat waiting for her with a concerned frown on his face.