Chapter 7: Elusive Sleep

Nanginginig pa rin si Fresia. But it wasn't fear this time.

Bullet was fully awake now. He looked so angry, and that's kind of understandable. If someone woke her up in the middle of her sleep, she'd be angry too. But this is her house. He's the trespasser. She's the only one who has the right to be angry!

Iwinasiwas niya ang payong sa harap nito. "You're lucky this is not a sledgehammer!"

He exhaled, raised his hands up in surrender, and slumped back to the couch. "All right. I'm sorry for yelling at you."

"What the hell are you doing here?"

"What does it look like I'm doing?"

"This is breaking and entering!"

He gave her a blank stare. "Technically, this is just entering. I didn't break anything," pagtatama nito.

Gusto niya itong hampasin ng payong. Nagdahilan pa talaga? How did he even manage to enter the house without breaking the door? Hindi niya matandaang binigyan niya ito ng susi-

Natigilan siya. Of course! Her key! He made a duplicate of her key! How dare him! Hindi man lang ito nagpaalam sa kanya.

Her eyes widened at the realization. "You..."

"I just came here to sleep," he explained. Inilapag nito ang duplicate sa lamesa. "I didn't mean to scare you. I promise I'll leave early. Just please... let me sleep."

"You have your own place. Bakit hindi ka do'n matulog?"

"Fresia, I've been having nightmares for five years. Last night was the only decent sleep I had... in five years. I don't know what's with this apartment of yours, pero dito lang ako nakatulog ulit nang maayos. All I'm asking is for you to just let me sleep here for a few hours. I'll clean up after myself. I won't bother you. I'll even cook you breakfast."

"I'm not going to let you sleep in my apartment! I don't even know you!"

"What do you want to know?" Inilabas nito ang wallet at ipinakita sa kanya ang iba't iba nitong ID. "I can also give you my social media accounts. I'm not active on Facebook, though."

"I don't want your IDs or accounts!" She pulled him up and pushed him towards the door. "I want you out of my apartment!"

Pinagdaop nito ang mga palad at paulit-ulit na nakiusap sa kanya. But she didn't change her mind. Binuksan niya ang pinto at itinulak ito palabas.

--

She didn't know why she was feeling guilty. He may not mean her any harm, but it's also her right to refuse him. Hindi siya kumportableng magpatulog ng kung sinu-sino sa bahay niya.

Pero sa tuwing maaalala niya ang pagmamakaawa nito ay kinakain siya ng konsensya. Mukha namang wala itong masamang balak sa kanya. Naiwanan nga niya ang susi niya rito pero wala namang nawala sa apartment niya.

Maybe he's just desperate.

Not trusting herself enough, she consulted Mona. Pinuntahan niya ito sa cake shop.

Mona's business is always booming during the weekends. Kaya naman hindi niya ito makausap nang matino. Kasunod siya nito kahit saan ito magpunta. One moment, she's mixing the cake batter. Then she's talking on the phone. Then she's decorating a cake. Nahilo siya sa kaibigan. Hindi ito mapirmi sa isang lugar!

"Do you need any help?"

"Can you pipe the cake?"

She shook her head. Piping takes patience. Alam niyang hindi niya kaya iyon dahil napakaiksi ng pasensya niya.