Chapter 5: Picnics and Refreshments

Cameo ulit. No twins, okay?

--

There's a lot of damage that you could do in an hour. Fresia's room didn't stand a chance, even without her sledgehammer. Pawis-pawisan siya nang matapos. The sweat on her face practically dissolved all her makeup. Bullet should have told her to bring spare clothes. Amoy na siyang daing na ibinabad sa suka nang makalabas siya ng kwarto.

Bullet, on the other hand, makes sweat look good on him. If there is such a thing as a sweat model, he'd be it.

She quickly averted her gaze before she gets caught staring. Admiration is different from attraction, but he doesn't know that. He might get the wrong idea, and based on the two days that she has known him, he definitely would.

"Well... how was it?" she asked.

He removed his suit and made a face. "I don't know why you find it therapeutic. I feel horrible!"

"To each his own," she said with a shrug. "Is there a place where we could eat? I'm famished!"

"Wala silang kainan dito. People were told in advance na kailangan nilang magdala ng tubig at pagkain."

"Is that why you insist on buying burgers earlier?" She should have just let him. Hindi naman kasi nito sinabing wala pala silang kakainin dito. Magugutumin pa naman siya.

"Don't worry. They invited us for lunch. Marami silang dalang pagkain ngayon."

True enough, Lena and Keisha got out of the workroom with two big baskets. Bullet helped carry them outside. Siya ay hinubad ang protective suit at gears saka ibinalik doon sa lalaking nasa harapan ng building, kasama ng kay Bullet.

She headed to the side of the building where the family was setting up the picnic space for them. Iyong mga kasabay nila sa gallery kanina, nagpi-picnic na rin doon. The sun was up, but it wasn't as hot because of the trees, a perfect day for picnics.

"Where do you eat when it rains?" tanong niya habang tumutulong sa paglalatag ng pagkain sa picnic blanket.

"Kahit saan basta may bubong," sagot ni Cyrus.

Kenneth picked up a sandwich and called their dog. It's a big golden retriever with shiny brown fur. Naupo ito sa tabi ng bata at naghintay na pakainin. Keisha helped her little brother take off the plastic. Piniraso ng dalawang bata ang tinapay saka paunti-unting pinakain ang aso.

Nang maubos ay kumuha ng isa pang sandwich si Kenneth. Kinuha naman iyon ni Lena.

"Don't give everything to the dog, baby," masuyo nitong sabi sa anak.

"But Dumdum's hungwy!"

"We'll feed Dumdum later, okay?"

Tumango ang bata at pumwesto sa kandungan ni Lena.

Pumwesto naman siya sa tabi ni Bullet. He opened a can of soda and handed it to her.

"Your dog's name is Dumdum?" natatawang tanong niya sa bata. Even for a dog, it's a weird name.

"His name's Dumbledore, but it's a mouthful, so Kenneth settled for Dumdum," paliwanag ni Lena. "Do you like dogs?"

Umiling siya. "I'm not a pet person."

Mukhang na-disappoint ito sa sinabi niya. She admires dogs... from afar. Cute naman ang mga aso. Hindi lamang talaga niya kayang mag-alaga. She doesn't have a nurturing nature. That's why she couldn't take care of Richard. She lacks affection. Kawawa ang mga domestic animal sa kanya.

"Well, you wouldn't last a day in their house," Bullet said. "They have like... a hundred dogs there."

Cyrus laughed. "He's exaggerating. We just have twenty-two."