Ten.

I'm sorry this took so long but I'm back at it again!

--

"I own a couple of businesses here and there and, uh, yeah." Vic chuckled, sounding so humble and just different from those people who boast about how rich and privileged they are. That's one thing that I really like about Vic because he doesn't make me (or anyone around him, really) feel so small and irrelevant with all his wealth, if that makes sense.

I shook my head at him and butted in. "He's a really good business man and he owns a few restaurants and bars." I stated as-a-matter-of-factly. My mom nodded in understanding, that same friendly smile still dancing on her face. We've been seated in the dining room, mostly just chatting and catching up on my part and my mom getting to know Vic. It's been going smoothly aside from the instances where I have to butt-in just so that Vic wouldn't give off with my lies. I have to say, I went down here feeling all nervous but I guess as time progressed, I kind of relaxed. But I think it's also the effect that the wine that Vic brought, I don't know.

"Well, how about you, K? How's university?" My mom shifted the topic to me and I chewed the last bit of food in my mouth, smiling proudly at her.

"Everything's great, you know, as usual." I chuckled. "I'm still working part time in the campus' bookstore." I explained. I still do work in the bookstore mainly because I have to have a plan B. I mean, my job for Vivian and Victor is still going on smoothly but I just have to have something if that one suddenly falls off.

"Why do you have to work there?" She asked, sounding tired of asking the same question all over again. We've actually had this conversation, one too many times but the thing is, she wouldn't understand. No matter how many times she tells me that I shouldn't worry, I still know that she needs my help. It's the least that I could do for her.

"Mom," I groaned, rolling my eyes.

"We're fine, Kellin." She sighed, shaking her head at me. "And the money that you send every week, you should keep those or-"

"Mom, it's okay. I'm okay. Just- I want to help." I said, toning down my voice because I could feel myself getting embarrassed over this conversation. I mean, Vic is still in the same room and I don't want him to know that we're that poor.

She sighed once again. "I just want you to focus on your studies, dear. I should be the one who's worrying about money." She retorted with a light chuckle, probably to ease down the forming tension. I nodded slightly as Vic cleared his throat and true enough, he seemed a little bit uncomfortable. I was about to say something else when my sister emerged through the door, a hand on her hip.

"I have this project about statistics and I was wondering if you could help?"

I smiled up at my sister, liking the idea. I mean, I could say that I've done my fair share in studying about that topic last semester when I took Stat and Basic Accounting. "Sure, I'd-"

"I wasn't talking to you." She said as she rolled her eyes at me. "I was talking to Vic."

"Oh, uh- sure." Vic chuckled and pushed himself from the table. "Excuse me." He looked at my mom with a smile and she nodded at him, her smile ever-so bright and friendly. Kayla took his hand a literally dragged him upstairs to her room.

"She's getting extra sassy." I commented with a shake of my head.

"I like him." My mom said as I began gathering the dirty dishes, standing up and piling them near the sink.

"Ew. I know that you've been single for a long time but, ew." I joked and laughed as she punched my shoulder.

"Kellin Quinn!" She scolded and I laughed louder at her. "I didn't mean it like that."

"I'm just saying, mom. He's only twenty-six, so.."

"Speaking of, how did you two meet, exactly? I never knew that you have friends outside your age group." She said as I started cleaning the plates, her rummaging around the refrigerator, clearing off some stuff, I guess. I have already prepared a mental script for this question because I've been anticipating it. I just knew that she would be too damn curious about that one. I mean, it really sounds weird. My mom have met all my friends, even those who I only met in university so I couldn't really blame her curiosity about Vic.

"Like I said, we met in a café and he was really friendly and yeah." I brushed it off, shrugging my shoulders. I am known for being a terrible liar but I guess I'm improving as weeks pass. I can't help but be proud, though.

"Hm. Well, he really does seem friendly and genuine." She commented and I smiled at that. At least we share the same views about Vic.

--------

I don't remember the last time I felt too comfortable in sleeping but all I know is that I am beyond comfortable with the warmth that my bed is radiating right now. I groaned as I stretched my stiff limbs, scratching my face with the back of my palm. Light from the early sky seeps through my curtains but it feels nice, not harsh enough to blind me this early. I peeked down on the blow-up mattress set up beside my bed, seeing an empty space, Vic is nowhere to be found. Vic and I were both dead-on tired last night so there really wasn't that much awkward small talk as we both stare at the ceiling type of interaction – just like those scenes portrayed in the movies, if you know what I mean.

Hearing my mother's loud and joyous laughter from downstairs, I could confirm that Vic took the liberty to find his way downstairs. That's okay, I'll let him be for a while. What's really weird is how my mom seems to really like him. She seems comfortable with Vic and last night, she sounded comfortable in me becoming friends with him. Maybe she sees him as a "role model" to me or something?

With a couple more minutes of just staring at my ceiling, the wall, the window and the clock, I finally decided to push the blankets away from me and headed to the bathroom, doing my business and sluggishly walking my way down the stairs.

"-No but like, he has always been such a nerd! I don't get why and how you two even became friends in the first place." I heard my sister said and even though I haven't yet seen her face as she said it, I could already see her rolling her eyes.

"He has his nerdy moments but he's really cool, too." Vic retorted with a laugh.

"Cool?! Kellin? You're too nice, Vic." She commented and the three of them laughed.

"Well, good morning to you, too." I said and messed with her hair as I sat down on the same chair last night at dinner. She scowled at me and of course, rolled her eyes.

"Hey, I was thinking of going to Michigan's Adventure today, what do you think?" Vic asked and I haven't even yet to decide for a response when my sister cut me right off.

"Yes!" She squealed, clapping her hands as if she's a five year old kid. I rolled my eyes at her as I chuckled, looking at my mom for approval. She frowned a little and just by the look of her face, I could already tell that she's skeptical about it because going out means spending money. She doesn't have to worry, though. With the amount of money that Vivian has been paying me, I could actually pay for all four of us. Of course, I wouldn't tell her that, though.

"My treat, Mary. What do you say?" Vic chimed in and I looked at him with wide eyes, as if silently asking him what the heck he's doing. He just smirked at me and shrugged his shoulders.

"Oh, Vic, I don't know. You are our guest, we should be the one who's taking care of you." My mom tried to argue but this is Vic that we're talking about here. He wouldn't take no for an answer.

"I just realize how much similar Kellin is to you." He commented with a chuckle. "Don't worry about anything, ma'am. You're let me stay in your house for days and you prepare great meals, the least that I could do is to take you all out." Vic politely explained with that friendly smile.

"And I saved up for this, mom. Come on." I pleaded and gave her that look that I know for sure that she wouldn't be able to resist. She thought about it for a few moments, my sister chanting 'please please please' with her fingers crossed.

"Okay, sure." She gave in and smiled finally.

"Yay!" Kayla shouted, her face brightening up and we all dug through our breakfast, finishing up and getting ready for the day.