What I Left Behind- Chapter 34

Start from the beginning

"Hi ma'am what can I get you today?" The man behind the counter asked.

"Can I get one cookies and cream milkshake?" I asked.

"You sure can, you can grab a seat and we'll find you and give it to you." He said as he swiped my card.

"Thank you." I said before finding a booth that was empty. I slid in and pulled out my phone to see if I had any new texts. Why I did this to myself everyday was useless but I did it anyway. He wouldn't text me, especially not after how we last ended things on the phone.

After I called him to tell him that I wasn't coming home he hung up without letting me explain anything. That was the last time I heard from him. I've talked to Charlie and Drew but they have been so busy with school, football, or Wesley that I managed to talk to them for only a short period of time.

I missed home, more than anything. I texted Ethan a couple of times but I got no response. It was my fault. He tried his best when I was gone to talk to me but I was so busy with Nana that I barely had enough time to collect my thoughts on anything except with things dealing with her. He didn't understand that and I didn't expect him to. I loved him more than anything and I couldn't be more angry with myself for not telling him before I left but I guess it was for the better. I wouldn't have ever left if he told me he loved me at the airport.

God I missed him more than anything but he probably didn't feel the same. Two months passed by and he hadn't tried to talk to me, what makes me think that I'd even be a thought in his mind right now? Wishful thinking I guess.

"Blake? Is that you?" I heard someone say causing me to drift back to reality.

I looked up and saw a familiar brown haired, blue eyed man standing from beside me looking as shocked as I felt right now.

"Chase? What on earth are you doing here?" I asked surprised.

"I go to SDU, remember?!" He asked as if I said something stupid.

"Well yeah I remember that but what I meant is what are you doing in Oceanside?!" I asked.

"SDU is only about a half hour away and I stay with my family that lives about fifteen minutes away from here. This is the best place in Cali to get milkshakes. What, no hug for me?!'" He asked teasingly.

I laughed and got up to hug him. He gave me a tight squeeze before I let go, somewhat feeling like I betrayed Ethan somehow. I shook that out of my head.

"Who are you with?" He asked as I pulled away from the hug.

I shrugged, "Just me." I responded.

"Want some company?" He asked as I sat back in the booth.

I looked at the group of guys who looked like they were waiting on him by a table before he interrupted my thoughts, "Don't worry about them. They'll understand." He said waving at the guys before climbing in the booth to the seat across from me.

"Then yes, I'd love some company." I said honestly.

"I thought you were supposed to go back to JMU when winter break ended?" He asked confused.

"I was but I have to take care of some things so I'm going to the local college here and taking some online classes this semester to take care of it." I said just as my milkshake came to my table.

"Thank you." I said to the man who took my order.

"No problem ma'am." He responded before heading back.

"Hmm." Was all Chase responded.

"So how's school going?" I asked trying to change the subject.

"Ah, it's great. Love everything about it." He said lying.