What I Left Behind- Chapter 33

Start from the beginning

They all stared at me with wide eyes before I spoke, “This way.” I said before speed walking back to Nana’s room where she continued to throw up.

The men immediately went by her side and started to ask a billion questions to me.

“Stage 3, liver cancer.” Someone shouted from beside her bed.

“Transport her to the stretcher and get her in the truck.” Another man shouted.

“Are you her caretaker?” A young brunette man asked me as he walked over to where I was standing.

“Yeah I’m her granddaughter.” I responded.

He nodded and then spoke, “She’s going to need to go to the hospital. You should contact her doctor and have him or her meet up you tonight because she will need to stay overnight. She is throwing up blood and she isn’t supposed to. I assume you’d want to ride with her?” The man asked.

I fought back the not in my throat and managed to nod at him.

They placed Nana on the stretcher, giving her a bucket to throw up. Why couldn’t they just give her a damn shot and make her pass out?! I couldn’t stand to see her like this anymore!

I rushed to her side, “Everything’s going to be alright Nana. Keep fighting.” I said as we rolled out of the house.

I managed to grab my keys while on our way.

The men pulled out a ramp to the Ambulance and pulled her up in the truck. I locked the door to my house and ran into the truck with her as we raced off to the hospital.

*********************************

If one more nurse said “soon” one more time I’m pretty sure I’d stick my fist into that person’s face.

I’ve been waiting hours for the results and all that they’ve been telling me is that they’d be in soon.

Technology has definitely improved since the 60’s people, why the hell aren’t they instantly given?!

“Sweetheart, you’re going to give yourself an ulcer if you don’t come an sit down.” My Dad whispered from his chair.

“How can you be so calm Dad? I’m going insane right now.” I said pacing back and forth in Nana’s room. She’d fallen asleep thank god about an hour ago and I didn’t want to wake her.

“I’m calm because this isn’t in our control right now Blake. If one of us isn’t calm, then we’d be very dysfunctional, don’t you think?” He whispered back.

I let out a big sigh before plopping down on the chair beside him.

“God I hope everything’s fine.” I responded.

“Me too baby girl, me too.” He said.

About a half hour later, Nana’s doctor came in quietly where she directed us to talk outside.

“How about you stay here while I go and talk to the doctor, okay?” My Dad whispered to me.

“Uh no. I’m going out there but you can stay if you want.” I responded ruder than I intended to but how could he even ask me that question?

I stepped out in the hall and my father followed me out.

“You did a well job with calling the paramedics Blake. I apologize I couldn’t reach your call due to surgery I was in at the moment but going back to what’s at hand, we’ve received the results back. It appears that she is having a hard time keeping food in her system, which shouldn’t have been a problem yet. She is still at stage three and isn’t close to stage four yet but her body is refusing any food intake. We highly suggest she gets a feeding tube so that it’s easier for her to ingest the food and digest it without a problem.” She said flicking through her papers.