12 | Honey, you're so sweet

Start from the beginning

          "Good morning Clare!" She pulled me into a hug. I couldn't decline a hug from my own sister, so I pulled her close and and picked her up piggy back style and brought her downstairs to eat breakfast. On the way down I could hear other voices in the kitchen and saw that everyone else was awake, well for the most part partially awake. Nathan looked liked he needed five more hours of sleep, but I think a cup of coffee might do the job for him or a glass of water. I let Blair climb down from my back and went through the cabinet for some spare mugs and poured myself a cup of the medium roast and added a small amount of caramel syrup and soy milk. This roast was a perfect match for anything sweet and savory. I fixed a cup for Kevin with just the syrup and grabbed the two mugs to the table.

            "Thanks Ads, just how I like my coffee"

           "Anytime Kev, oh Nathan do you want something besides water to drink with your breakfast?"

           "Nate" He mumbled his preferred name to me and replied, "Got anything bubbly?" 

          "Well, not for breakfast but I can whip up a smoothie or maybe iced coffee?"

          "Naw, I'll just some OJ then" he grabbed a glass and poured himself a glass of orange juice.

          "Okay" I sat by Blair this time and passed around plates to everyone. Dad finished making his eggs and bacon and placed them on two plates on the table.

          "Clare can I have your pancakes please" Blair looked at me to have some cakes on her plate. I nodded and placed a stack of three on her plate and poured a healthy amount of maple syrup. She smiled and dug in while I grabbed a couple of cakes, some scrambled egg and a few crispy bacon. Everyone else followed and grabbed what they wanted and as much as they pleased. Nathan's plate was similar to mine and I watched him take a bit from my pancakes. His eyes lit up and continued to eat with such enthusiasm. He finished his pancakes and bacon in a flash and was placing more cakes and pig on his plate. I quietly ate my food and enjoyed the texture, taste, and aroma. Together the eggs, bacon, and cakes was a harmony of flavor while maintaining it's light impact on the stomach.

           "Man, Nathan you look like you have never eaten pancakes before" Kevin joked.

          "I have, but no-not as great as this" He looked ate and my dad as we gave him wide smiles.

          "Awww, Nathan you make me blush" I laughed and dad gave Nathan a nod in thanks.

         "SO-when are you coming over exactly" Nathan asked openly, but the question was aimed towards my dad.

         "Sometime in two weeks time, more or less" that was all he said and continued to eat his food.

         "I see" Nathan continued to eat, but at a slower pace.

         "Oh Nathan, what do you like to eat? As in food" I asked as I went by him.

         "I enjoy Italian and Tuscan food"

         "Okay, and your sister?"

         "What about her?"

         "What kind of food does she like?"

         "She is really into seafood, while my dad likes steak"

         "Alri-" I was cut off by Nathan's run on words.

         "But he likes a specific type of steak and cut and other stuff I don't pay much attention to"

         "Alright, I guess we have a start to our game plan dad" I looked at him as he was finishing writing down the information Nathan gave us. I nodded and started to think of a good combination for a dinner. Seafood and steak go well together, but knowing the best kind of pairing might just make the night a success.

          "Have you cooked for anyone particularly picky?" He asked me as he placed his fork down on his emptied plate.

          "Well have you ever heard of Jordon Carrington?"

          "Is that the guy that complains to chefs that makes them lose a star or rating?"

          "Yep. When I was about eleven I helped prepare lunch for him and other major chefs, food enthusiasts, and critics and well he thanked me for the meal and said it was the best pasta leggero he ever had, but  I think he was just being modest"

          "Meh, my dad is still picky"

         "Well your dad seems complicated"

         "That's him" Nathan picked up his phone, and jolted in his seat. He looked around, and downed a glass of water (my glass of water) and went to the backyard to grab somethings and went back in the kitchen, "Thank you for breakfast and all--I need to go, than you Mr. and Mrs. Jameson, see yah Fox!"

           And just like that he was out the door; gone. That was completely unexpected and rude, but I guess that's how he acts now.

           "Well that was unexpected, but Clara we need to get to work" Dad looked at me with serious eyes. An email appeared on his phone; it looked urgent.

           "I know, but there is no rush right? Like you said the meeting is not until two weeks from now" 

           "Actually we have until the 24th" he was serious and showed me the details in the email from Mr. Prescott's secretary.

           "Crap! that in four days!"

           "Language Clare!"

           "Sorry!"

Oh crap, four days is not enough time.