eighteen

"I'd like to say something," Arlo announced, gathering everyone's attention. The room quieted, and all eyes were on him. "Thank you, thank you everyone. Now, I know I haven't known Gardenia long," I scoffed. Of course he'd call her by her first name. He leers at me, but continues talking.

"But I do know that she is a wonderful woman. And look at her--she's beautiful!" Mrs. Acker blushes and people laugh, and he goes on,"I've never been a fan of books, I never liked them. I would only read when forced to, and even then I barely would, but I have an infinite amount of respect for Gardenia and her commitment to them and her, might I say, stunning library! And I would like to thank her for employing my amazing girlfriend, Venus here. These two lovely ladies here are both fantastic women, and I feel like the luckiest man alive to know them both." he smiles widely and wipes a nonexistent tear as Mrs. Acker places her hand over her heart. Multiple "aww's" explore the space, and out of the corner of my eye I could see Venus staring at me as she played with the ring on her middle finger. Knowing this sparked a genuine smirk on my face, even though Arlo was still glaring at me and embarrassing himself because I didn't actually give a shit.

Mrs. Acker stood, clapping her hands and hugging Arlo. "Thank you, Arlo." He nodded, sitting back down. She motioned for him to get back up, saying,"No, no! Why don't we dance now!" And so everyone broke off as the music began, couples connecting for a slow song and I stepping outside onto the balcony for a smoke.

I cupped my hand around the flame as I lit my cigarette, taking in a puff and leaning against the railing. I then found myself relaxing under the pinch of the breeze.

"It's nice out, isn't it?" I heard from behind me, giving me a start. There Mrs. Acker stood, with her hands on her hips and her glasses slipping down her nose, and although I could tell by the way she kept tugging at her sleeves that the sequins on her dress were irritating, she seemed completely content with every aspect of her life right then. "If only it was like this every day."

"Huh, yea." I said quietly staring back out into the city. The forever-shining lights seemed dimmer on this night, and the moon was full and the city was almost--almost--quiet. In this moment it was utterly incomprehensible to me why anybody would ever want to leave this place. It is truly a breathtaking sight, with all of the vivacious colors and the hundreds of tall buildings and the lights,--the lights in all their glory--the view is beyond compare. I was in love with this city, and I was giddy with joy for everything seemed to be falling into place for me for once.

"Shawn?" Mrs. Acker, who was now standing beside me, interrupted my thoughts.

"Uh--what?" I replied clumsily as I tapped the ash off of the cigarette.

"I said: I know you like her."

I looked at her, and she was beautiful. Even though she was getting older, her eyes were still magnificent and her smile had yet to fade, and I didn't want her to leave.

"I can tell by the way you look at her,"

I took a drag, blowing the smoke in the opposite direction of her. I nodded in response. I wasn't going to deny it, there was no use. A blind man could see that I'm in love with Venus.

She sighed, a long sigh, one you'd make when you're about to break the bad news. However, what she told me wasn't any new information to me. "She likes her boy, Shawn. She seems happy with Arlo."

I mustered up a fake chuckle, putting out the cigarette and saying,"I know. Trust me, I do."

She put her hand on my forearm, squeezing slightly. The sequins scraped against the fabric of my suit. "I think maybe," she looked out into the road,"Maybe you should let that be."

I stepped back, pulling away from her grasp gently. "What do you mean?"

From inside I heard the music switch, and through the window I could see Frederick dancing with Carie, and he could barely get his hands around her waist due to the unborn child hovering between them. He looked annoyed and was seriously eyeballing the minibar, most likely praying he had a beer in his hand.

"I mean--Shawn, look at me." she spoke sternly,"You should let her be happy."

I shook my head, unable to understand what she was saying.

She sighed again, her head tilting to the side."Let her go." She said it so softly it sounded more like a request rather than a demand.

What? Let her go?

After I didn't respond for more than twenty seconds, she continued. "Let her be happy. You overwhelm her."

I shook my head faster, faking another laugh to fight the level of frustration that was catching up to me."Can't do that."

Her eyebrows knitted together, and she looked confused. "You know how the saying goes; if you love her than let her go."

"I do love her, and she loves me, I know she does, and I'm not just going to give up on that. I haven't even had my chance to be with her yet!" I was getting so flustered and upset, and I could feel my fingernails driving into my palms.

Mrs. Acker slowly opened her mouth as if she was going to say something, but she didn't. She just leaned against the railing and pulled at her sleeve.

I took a deep breath, running my fingers over the new marks on my hands.

"Okay." she said quietly as the wind kicked up. "Well, good luck."