Chapter 19 - Run

"You know?" I asked, as I walked out of the closet, and made my way toward the bed. "I feel incredibly clean." I sighed, as I fell onto the bed.

I wrapped my arms around a pillow, and closed my eyes.

"Tired?" Mason asked.

I nodded. I felt the blanket being pulled over me. Then Mason's arm slid under me, and his other over me. He pulled me into his arms, against his chest. He sighed and kissed my head.

"Get some sleep, my father is sending us on another mission, tonight," he said.

I nodded. "When?" I asked, as I began to doze.

"Tonight when it get's dark."

"Do we do that alot?"

"Do what?"

"Go on missions at night?" I asked, now it was my turn to be groggy.

"Yeah."

I nodded, before I drifted off again.

~~~~~

The fire was hot, but it felt nice, although it was late spring.

This was the first time I had actually seen a fire, that wasn't on a torch or in a fire place. It was interesting.

"You look amazed," Mason said.

I looked over at him, sitting on a log, by the fire. The fire lit up half his face, leaving the other half dark.

The fire gave us light, and warmth, but didn't hide our cover.

We were waiting for another carriage to roll around, in the middle of the forest.

"No, I mean yes. Well, I've ony seen a fire on a torch, or in a fireplace

His eyes grew, slightly. "Really?"

"Yeah, I know it's weird. My parents never let me leave... the property. The only time I left the... house, was to ride my horse, other than that, I stayed inside."

"Really?"

"Yeah, it was pretty miserable," I sighed.

"Yeah. Anyway, you almost ready? I have to put the fire out."

"I guess, so."

"Nervous?" he asked.

"Not really, actually. Just tired."

"Are you sure?"

I nodded, and gave him a short smile. "Fine."

He grinned at me. "Come here." He motioned for me to some and sit by him. I got up, and walked toward him. I was gonna sit by him, but I felt his arms wrap around my waist and pulled me into his lap. "Em, what's wrong?" He used his fingers to pull my face towards his.

I shrugged. "It just doesn't feel right, stealing from people, you know? I mean, of course you don't this was how you were raised, Mason. I was raised with gowns, gloves, and fancy shoes. People waiting on me hand and foot." i shrugged again, with a sigh. "I don't know, it just doesn't feel right."

He looked at me curiously for a minute. "What happened? I thought it didn't bother you that much?"

"Well, you see, that's another thing I was raised to do, put on a mask. I have my feelings on the inside, but on the outside i hold a strong positive face," I explained.

Mason sighed. "Em, I'm gonna tell you something I've never told anyone before, okay?" I nodded. "I don't like doing this either. Like you said, i put on a mask as well. It doesn't feel right, but I have to do what my father says, or bad things will happen?"