Chapter 19

Niall gulped, feeling his palms getting sweaty under the intense glare of Harry's eyes. His mouth was dry, and the temperature outside seemed to quickly become hotter and just something more electrifying. Maybe it was the way Harry's eyes were watching him or just the way his hands seemed to be rubbing up and down his chin a lot, the soft stubble under it looking so damn delicious to Niall's eyes. He gulped again, wetting his lips when Harry opened his mouth to speak. 

"Marriage huh? That's a big fucking deal." Harry hissed out, making Niall gasp a bit in surprise because up till now, there wasn't really much of a time when he had heard the brunette curse. He did do it but not so openly and definitely not so venomously. It scared Niall a bit, not much but just a bit because he knew what he had done was wrong, agreeing to Jamie's proposal was probably the biggest mistake of his life. What the hell was he even thinking? 

"I-I'm sorry?" It came out more like a question, making the Irishman shake his head at his own stupidity. There were just too many things happening right now. He quickly grabbed onto Harry's cross necklace, dangling down his neck. It provided him a safety blanket and Niall loved feeling so damn protected. He enjoyed that feeling a lot. The  last time he had actually felt same and loved was when he was with Harry. Which was another reason why he shouldn't be marrying Jamie. Niall was helplessly, irrevocably  in love with Harry fucking Styles and not even the God's above could change that. 

"For what? We never had anything. Sex and a bit of fun to get your mind off the unnecessary stress but wasn't that all?" The curly brunette frowned, trying to keep his face the poker mask he had mastered it out to become but somehow, he couldn't do it. He wasn't particularly enjoying this conversation but if he showed Niall just how much he actually cared still, then there was a chance that his own heart might get hurt again. Once was enough, twice Harry was certain he wouldn't be able to take it. He wasn't that strong. 

"You make it sound so bad." The smaller of the two mumbled down, staring at the ground and moving his feet around. 

"There were no feelings there Niall. All I'm stating is the truth. What we did was just a temporary fix for all your problems. Nothing else." Harry scoffed, staring at the blonde. For a second he could feel his heart beat accelerating once again as those blue eyes turned to stare at him, now filled with tears in them. Harry's heart ached in his chest at the cold and hurt way Niall was just looking at him, fists clenched by his side. 

"You weren't temporary, Harry." Niall hissed, moving towards the taller man, all plans of running away from his troubles were evading him quickly as the thought of wanting to make his point clear to Harry took over his consciousness. 

"Was I not? Then why would you leave me to get married to your boyfriend? Oh wait - fiance now." The sarcasm dripping tone did nothing to console Niall but then again, Harry wasn't specifically out here to console the pretty blonde, 

"Because I didn't know what to do!" Niall yelled, forgetting for a second that he was still in public, away from the flashing cameras and what not but there were people around still. "I had no idea what to say. I knew he was going to propose but all my life I had just prepared myself to agree with all his decisions so I said yes. I'm sorry." 

"That's a fucking lame excuse." Harry chuckled, running a hand through his curls. He could feel his temper rising with the way Niall was biting his lips as if to keep himself from sobbing. He didn't get why the blonde was reacting so strongly considering he was the one who made the entire decision to get married. It wasn't anyone else's fault except his very own. So really, there was really no point in shedding tears over his own childish mistakes. 

"It's the o-only one I have." Niall sighed. 

"Answer me this; all that while, in the hotel room when we were sleeping with each other, did you not feel anything at all?" The taller brunette bit his lips, trying to calm himself down as his heart thudded in his chest, waiting for the answer to come his way.