Chapter 4

My dad pulled into the school, and called me over. I said goodbye to Lily and Seth, and then strode over to the car.

"Are you alright?" My dad asked when I got in and shut the door.

"Yes, dad. I already told you I am."

He started driving. "Ok, ok. I'm sorry."

It was silent for awhile...

"Ash, we need to talk about yesterday," my dad finally said.

"Dad, it's not important," I sighed.

"What the hell do you mean it's not important? How would you feel if your kid came home all bruised and bloody with the word faggot written on their forehead? Being gay is not a sin. I swear, Ash, if you believe that--"

"Dad, I don't. Okay?" I interrupted him.

"Ash, tell me who did this."

"Just this guy named James," I shrugged. "He bullies me."

"James," my dad whispered. "Your told me a guy named James told you being gay is bad in second grade? Is it the same James?"

I nodded, "Yeah."

"He's bullied you all this time, and you never once thought to tell me or your father!?" My dad shrieked.

"I was never fazed by it until now," I told him, truthfully. "And why are you all worked up about it?"

"Why!? Because my son is being beat up for no reason..." He paused. "And because I was bullied in high school, too."

"What? You were?" I was surprised.

"Yeah," my dad sighed. 

"Why?"

"Because I'm completely colorblind. Apparently the people who bullied me didn't like that," he explained.

I already knew about him being totally colorblind. It made me sad sometimes. It made me think how you could live in a world without color.

"Does pops know about this?" I questioned.

"Yep. He was actually friends with the people who bullied me. Though at the time, he didn't know."

"Oh..."

"Next time James says or does something bad, tell me."

"I will." I promised.

--

"What room is Isaiah Walker in?" I asked.

"Room 162. You'll find it on the second floor," the girl smiled.

"Thank you," I smiled back.

I sighed and headed to the elevator. I wanted to see Isaiah, so after my dad took me home, I drove straight to the hospital. Well, after I had a snack. I was kind of hungry...

Pressing the number 2, the elevator doors closed and it went up. Soon enough, the elevator jolted to a stop and the doors opened.

160. 161. 162!

I slowly walked over to the door, and knocked.

"Come in!" I heard.

I opened the door, and smiled at Isaiah. "Hey, buddy."

"Oh, gosh. You're acting all... Soft," Isaiah chuckled.

"What do you mean?" I questioned.

"You called me buddy. You only call me buddy when I'm hurt," he explained.