Chapter Four

I've known Ashton for a long time, we've always been good friends. We shared many secrets together and have helped each other through hard times. What happened when we met is still etched into my brain.
---
I had just walked into a sword shop that was close to my family's house. My old sword was snapped in half by a dragon, which meant that I was without a sword. My family members are known as ruthless people, and what's ruthless without a sword to kill people with?

I was inspecting a dark colored sword when I heard a voice behind me.

"Excuse me, did you fart?" A boy, who looked to be my age, asked me.

"Um...n-"

"Because you blew me away." I swear, he hit the ground so hard that you could hear it from outside. Retracting my hand, I looked at the damage that I had caused. Hm... a bloody nose, a bruise on his left cheek, and a small dent on the counter that he fell on. Whoops.

Smiling, I walked up to the check out counter and handed the cashier a sword. After I left the store, I saw the boy walking home with a mask covering his bruise.
---
Ah, good times. There were no-so-good-times as well. You see, Ashton's family didn't really care about him. The second time I saw him, they weren't being nice at all.
---
My sword was destroyed again. My stupid brother decided that he could just take my sword and light it on fire. So here I am, back in the sword shop. A red sword had caught my eye and I was beginning to move towards it when I heard a scream.

I whipped my head over to the window and saw a horrible sight. A bloodied boy was being beat up by his brother. Grabbing the sword, I snuck over to the window and watched as the parents joined in.

"-mouth shut! You have no right to speak when you are in our presence! Now be quiet and we will finish this at ho-"

"Enough." I said, stepping outside. "You have no right to beat your son. Now, I suggest you leave before things get messy."

The older woman scoffed, "Who do you think you are? You obviously aren't royalty."

Smirking, I say, "I'm Haven. Haven Aris Brielle. Also known as Slayer." The look on the woman's face was priceless. Everyone's mouth dropped to the floor as I grabbed the boy's hand.

Once we got to my house, I took him into the bathroom and started to clean his cuts.

"So, what's your name?" I asked him.

"Ashton. Ashton Barker. You know, it's kind of dangerous to bring strangers into your home." He replied.

"Ha! Do you know who I am? I am the definition of dangerous!"

"Oh! I forgot about that." He said sheepishly. We laughed at each other until I finished cleaning his wounds.
---
That was a great day. I had so much fun with Ashton. Sadly, our time together came to an end when my parents sent him to a new family. His new family members are amazing and loving people.

Snapping out of my memories, I look up at Ashton's face. "Is that really you, Ashton?"

A smile breaks out on his face. "It's really me, Haven. It's really me." I pull him into a hug and I smile.

He pulls away after a few minutes. "Wow, you'd think that you would be running away from me! I am supposed to be hunting you down after all." He says. Oh god, is he going to kill me?

"Are you going to kill me? If you are, could you just kill me already. You know I'm impatient."

Ashton looks at me with shock on his face. "No! I'm actually here to help you! Calm down, I would never hurt my best fri-" He pauses and pushes me behind a tree.

"Ashton! Have you found her yet?" A guard asks.

"Nope. She probably has gotten out of the forest already."

"Okay. We'll head over to Phira and start looking there." The guard says, and he walks away.

Once he's out of earshot, Ashton grabs my shoulders and says, "We need to get you out of here. Guards will be passing through here soon. Take this satchel and run." He hands me a satchel and gives me a sad smile. "Bye."

Then, he left.