Chapter 10: Niall

I sucked in a breath of fresh air as the prison gates opened for me. I was finally out of there and I had the information I needed to start the investigation. First, I bought a cheap cell phone that I was going to use to contact Smith with information that I discovered.

Once I bought the cell phone, I dialed the number Smith gave me. He answered at the first ring, "Hey, son, how are you doing?" he asked using our secret language.

"Good, Dad, I was hoping that we could grab pizza together or something," I said, asking to meet him somewhere tonight.

"Unfortunately, I'm going to be in the office all day. Did you make any new friends lately?" Smith questioned about the followup with the investigation and if I managed to join a small circle that involved Blackbourne.

"I did make one new friend while I was away. He actually was hoping I would meet another good friend of his later on tonight at a club."

"That's great, son. I have to go now. How about we plan lunch tomorrow around two?" Smith said, signaling me to call him two in the afternoon.

"I will, Dad. Bye now," I said, hanging up the phone. I hailed a taxi over and asked him to take me to a bar called Lucille's Pub and Grill. I was to meet a man named Davie, a man that was connected to the Blackbourne circle that I needed to get into. I heard about Davie through his cousin that I ate lunch with when I was in prison. He told me how he got the job as a drug dealer from Davie. Davie would supply the drugs that Blackbourne had shipped to his cousin, who sold the drugs to people. He was busted for selling drugs to an undercover cop. Davie's cousin told me that he'd call Davie and make an arrangement with him to meet me once I was out.

I paid the driver and got out of the car. I entered the pub and looked around. A man was at the bar, drinking a beer. He was probably a few years older than me, dark hair, and a slender stature. I noticed how he had a scar on the end of his eyebrow that went diagonally to his cheekbone. Davie's cousin told me that's how I'd find him.

"Davie?" I said when I approached him.

"Who's asking?" he asked in a raspy voice.

"I am," I answered confidently. "Your cousin, Ralph, told me about you."

"Got a name?"

"Niall," I answered him.

"What kind of fucking name is that?" Davie scoffed. He looked at me. "Huh, Ralph didn't tell me you were an Irish prick."

"Ralph didn't tell me you were a drunken shmuck," I replied coolly.

With my response, Davie stood up. I didn't step back or lose eye contact with him. I waited patiently for him to say something first. Davie chuckled, "Ralph was right. You got more balls than brains. Take a seat, Niall."

I did and ordered myself a beer. "Ralph said you'd be able to supply me a job, but I'm not looking to sell. I'm more interested in making a bit more than that."

"If you're looking to go any higher, you're talking to the wrong guy. The one you're going to need to talk to is Blackbourne's right hand man, Luther."

"Where can I find him?"

"Sometimes he swings by to give me the deliveries, but not always. That's serious and rare occasions. The best thing you can do is wait and do the side jobs to earn a little something. I mean, I'm getting a delivery tonight, but I'm not sure if Luther is going to be the delivery guy."

"As long as it works out for me, I don't care."

"Aren't you on parole? Shouldn't you wait until it's done?"