Chapter 1: Roxanne

Once upon a time, I was just a girl hiding from my past or running from it. I was a rebellious teenager who had an abusive drug dealing boyfriend. His father was a dangerous man and caused my life to take a toll. I put myself in danger due to putting my ex-boyfriend and his father in prison, I lost my parents because his father targeted them, and I had to change my name to protect my identity.

For years, I hid who I was, living in fear that I might get killed myself. I pushed many people away for the longest time. I pushed away the family that took me in, didn't talk to anyone. I just wanted to be alone. Over time though, I realized that the family that adopted me truly cared and I couldn't keep distancing myself from them. I accepted them as my family and I grew to love them dearly. Even though, I accepted them, I didn't want to accept love from any guy.

That is, until one came along. His name was Niall and he was something else. He tried so hard to win my heart and I tried so hard to push him away, but the feelings were him were strong. I didn't want to get involved with him because of I always left and ran away from my past to protect myself. When my past came back to haunt me, he was there and accepted me for what happened and what I've been through. Being with him made me believe that we could make it through anything that life would put in our paths. That's how love is supposed to make us feel at the beginning. However, I learned that feelings can change throughout time and have an alternate ending to what was hoped for. I had to learn that the hard way.

I placed the last box down in my new place and looked around. It was a beautiful rustic themed two story loft apartment that I got in London. The walls of the front door and where my black spiral staircase was were grayish brown bricks, dark cherry wooden floors throughout the first floor, and dark gray pillars in the living room. The kitchen cabinets matched the dark cherry and I had the best kitchen appliances. A french door themed refrigerator unit, matching oven and stove, and beautiful marble counter tops and a spacious island.

There was also a spare room that was perfect for a study and an extra staircase that went straight up to my bedroom. So if I needed to do late work and needed rest, I could just go up the stairs instead of going to the other side of the apartment.

My bedroom had the same brick wall as downstairs on the wall that held a large casement window with a spacious nook. The best part about the casement is that I was able to climb out the window and stand there. It was like my personal little balcony. One side of the wall were mirror cabinets and drawers for my all clothes and shoes. My new place was absolutely perfect.

The doorbell rang, making me stop unpacking. I opened the front door and I was attacked by my best friend and sister in-law, Mercedes hugging me.

"Well hello to you," I laughed, hugging her back.

"I know you said to wait until you were done packing, but I couldn't help myself! I had to check out your new place! This place looks beautiful! Seriously, this place looks like a bachelorette pad. I'm completely jealous of you right now."

"Oh come on, your place is great too."

"Yeah, but this place is just wow. I mean, not that I'm complaining about our house. It's perfect to raise a family and everything, but this place. Why couldn't we live in something like this when we were in college?"

"Because we were college students then."

"Well, I was a college student, you were a dropout who worked at a bar."

I rolled my eyes, "You get my point."

"I guess," Mercedes looked around and touched my couch. "Wow, are you sure you want to go for white couch? Aren't you worried that you might spill something?"