Chapter 4: Niall

"I'm Detective Niall Horan. I'm supposed to see Chief Smith," I said the officer at the reception desk.

"Yes, he's expecting you. I'll let him know that you're here. You can take a seat over there," she said to me. I nodded and took a seat.

Taking a deep breath, I waited to meet Chief Smith and looked out the window. From across the street, I could see a couple that were holding hands and laughing together. He was tall with blonde hair and she was small with dark brown hair. I watched as he pulled her close and kissed her sweetly on the forehead. Watching them made me remember when...

"Detective Horan," a voice said, making me look. A man that looked like he was in his late thirties was there. He was a bulky man with stiff stature and had dark brown clean cut hair. "I'm Chief Robert Smith. I've been expecting your arrival."

I stood up immediately and shook his hand. "Nice to meet you, Sir."

"Let's head over to my office," he said as we walked together. "How was the flight?"

"It was short, but it felt long. However, it was a very smooth flight."

"Good to hear." He opened the door for me. "Please, take a seat, Detective. Now, Captain Fuller has told me about the situation in Dublin, along with what happened to your partner. I'm sorry that happened to you, but I need to know something. Are you going to take this incident personal or are you going to be professional about this situation?"

"Sir, what happened to Detective Walsh was horrible, but I refuse to allow my personal life to affect my job and my priorities."

"I also took the liberty of looking up your file and I decided to do some researching after I read through it. A few years ago, you were involved with an investigation of Dominic Teague and his son, William," Smith said calmly. My fists clenched at the sound of Will and Dominic's name. "I'd like to know what was your involvement during that case."

"I was working for his half brother, Hector, at the time," I began.

"Hector was the undercover during that case, correct?"

"Yes sir," I answered him. "The main reason of my involvement was because of my ex-girlfriend. When she found out Will and Dominic were released for probation and they came after her, we went to Ireland together to hide from them. An accident occurred with a close friend of ours and we went back. That's when they found us. They tortured her and forced me to work for them, but Detective Hunter, a man under that investigation, told me to stay put."

"Was this the reason why you became a detective?"

I nodded, "Yes, this is. I have no shame in admitting that. I was inspired to stop the crime that was happening."

Chief Smith leaned against his chair. "I understand why Captain Fuller wants to send one of his men to be continue this investigation, but we do have one problem, Niall. If we assign you to be undercover, your records can be hacked into and these guys will find out who you are and kill you. We need to wipe your slate clean. I looked up your file and it said that you quit the academy in Ireland and then signed up again. If you choose to continue this investigation, your records will show that you applied to be an officer, but left. We're going to add some crime reports of you, such as assault and battery. I'm also going to have you do some jail time. I'm thinking of giving you six months, but get you out for good behavior, so it will be cut down to four months."

"Before I agree with this, will my identity come back after I complete this mission?"

"Yes, it will."