Chapter 8 - Ritual Gone Wrong

Gene's POV

After talking to Bonnie and Jeremy, I headed back to the boarding house. As I walked up the driveway, I saw Stefan and Elena getting out of their car and having a couple moment. "Ugh, I'm going to vomit!" I yelled ruining it for them. Stefan turned to give me some kind of remark, but instead, his eyes landed on something behind me. He immediately got in a protective stance in front of Elena with a scowl on his face. I stopped and turned to look behind me to see Nik walking up and staring at my ass.

"So even original hybrids are perverts," I said rolling my eyes at him and walking in between the two men. "Well, who could help themselves from staring at such an exquisite beauty?" Nik replied with a smirk. I stuck my tongue out at him as he turned to Stefan and Elena. "You got me all nervous. I thought maybe you'd done something stupid. You ready, my dear?" he asked putting a hand out to Elena. I growled at him and his eyes darted to me as he put his hand immediately back at his side, shocked. He stared at me as Elena walked towards him.

Just as she was about to leave his hold, Stefan stopped her. "No," he said pulling her back into him. "I wouldn't. No reason for you to die, too." "Watch it or you'll die with him," I said glaring at Nik. He chuckled then stepped towards me. I looked up at him as he gave me a teasing smile. "Beauty, brains and attitude. A triple threat," he said smirking and caressing my cheek. I felt the chills run down my spine again as I leaned into his touch, wishing to feel him even more.

As Nik caressed my cheek, I looked over to see Elena consoling my brother. "No, Stefan. Hey, hey, it's fine, it's fine. No one needs to get hurt. There's no reason for you to get hurt," she said then kissed him. I felt my heart breaking at the sight of my brother having to let go of the woman he loved. I turned away as he hugged her tightly to him and looked down at the floor. At the sight of my sadness, Nik's face filled with a frown and he pulled me into his arms as well. "I'm sorry my little vie. I must do this," he said nuzzling his face into my neck. I stood sadly, but gripped onto him as well, trying to keep him from going to the ritual. "Please don't go," I whimpered out. "I'm so sorry," he said pulling my arms off of him and walking away from me.

He kept his back to me the entire time he walked to Elena. He grabbed her hand and sped to the edge of the driveway. But before he left, he turned to me one last time with sad eyes. "Please forgive me," he said quietly. Then, as if vanishing into thin air, he sped off to the ritual site.

When they left I ran over to Stefan and pulled him into my arms. He clung onto me for a moment, trying to keep himself from chasing after her. All I could do was hold onto him just as tight. After a minute, Stefan let go and gave me a sad smile. Grabbing my hand, he led the way into the boarding house. When we walked in, we saw Alaric sitting on the couch waiting. "There you are. I got here, the house was empty," he said standing up. I gave him a confused look, then at the same time that Stefan did, asked, "Where's Damon?"

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Damon's POV

After walking out of the tomb, Caroline ran to Matt's side and tried to wake him. When he didn't wake up, she looked at me accusingly. "Did you hit him?!" I gave an innocent face, "Did you already forget about the part with the gun and the wooden bullets?" Just then, a low growl came from behind me. I turned to see Tyler Lockwood grabbing his chest and looking up at the moon. "Tyler? Tyler?" I heard Vampire Barbie ask frantically. "It's starting." I started to panic then turned to Caroline. "Grab boy wonder and let's go."

We started walking our way through the woods as Tyler continued to fight the transformation. Matt, being the human he is, was getting worried about Tyler. "What's happening? Is he okay?" "He better not wolf out on us," I said to Caroline, ignoring Matt. Just then, my phone rang and I saw that it was Stefan. I answered it while shaking my head. "Bad time, little bro." "What the hell are you doing?" "Saving the day. I figured you'd understand. Just tell Elena to stay put," I said with a proud smirk on my face. I did well this time. "She's already gone, Damon." "What?" I asked. How could he just let her go? And so soon? "Klaus came. He took her." I sighed and shook my head. "I'll take care of it," I said hanging up.