Chapter 7 - Cooking Up a Plan

"How is that possible? A vampire that is also a witch is like an oxymoron. Witches are servants of nature, and vampires are abominations of nature. It just doesn't make sense!" Alaric ranted as he carried Damon, who was unconscious, into the living room. I remained silent, allowing him to process the new information. When he finally stopped ranting and sat down I gave him a quick run through. He nodded silently as he finally seemed okay with it, and then looked at me with a serious face. "When all this is over, you have to tell everyone everything. I know that isn't it, Gene. I can see it in your eyes. You're holding something back, and when you're ready, you should tell us."

I looked back at him shocked. No one has ever been able to see through me. I looked down and nodded my head with teary eyes as Ric got up and hugged me. I kept my hands at my side at first, shocked at his actions, then gripped onto his shirt tightly, trying to hold back from crying. "Salvatores do not show weakness!" I could hear my father yelling at me. I took in a deep breath, and then gently pushed him away, keeping my head down. "Thanks Ric," I whispered out shakily. He softly patted my head and smiled down at me as I regained my composure.

"Okay, so I'm going to prepare for tonight. Can you please just make sure Damon doesn't get himself killed?" I begged him as I walked to the door. "I make no promises," he said with a smile and I giggled at him. "I didn't expect any. See you later Ric," I shouted over my shoulder as I walked out the door. I slowly walked down the driveway then picked up my pace as I vampire sped through the forest to the witch house.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

When I entered, I heard the whispers of all the witches burned here. I tried to push them out of my mind, but they pushed back twice as hard. Slowly, the whispers started getting angrier and louder, until they were all viciously yelling in my mind. Screaming, I fell to the floor, clutching my head in pain. "Stop it!" I yelled as Bonnie and Jeremy both ran to me scared. "Gene, what is it? What are they saying?" Bonnie asked, panicked and pulling me into her small frame. "Bonnie make them stop!" I cried, going weak from the pain in my head. Angry and frightened, Jeremy stood up and yelled, "Leave her alone!"

As soon as the words left his mouth, all the voices vanished and I sank into Bonnie's arms. She rubbed my back soothingly as I still felt frightened from the voices. "I don't want to. They can't make me. They can't make me do it," I mumbled out over and over. "Gene," Jeremy said trying to get my attention, but I just continued mumbling to myself. "Genevieve," Jeremy said grabbing my face and making me look at him. I snapped out of my daze and looked at him, as if I just now noticed he was here. "What?" I asked quietly and innocently. "What did they want? What were they saying?"

I stayed silent for a moment, thinking about what the witches were saying. I shivered, and looked back at Jeremy's waiting face. "I don't know. It was all so loud and angry..." I whispered. "I couldn't make it out." Jeremy gave me a kind smile and nodded his head as Bonnie outstretched her hand for me. I grabbed onto it as she gave it a reassuring squeeze. I smiled and walked down to the basement behind Bonnie, Jeremy behind us, and sat on the mattress placed in the middle of the floor.

Following my actions, Bonnie and Jeremy sat across from me as we began to talk. "Okay, so Bonnie won't tell me what you two are planning and I want to help. Please Gene," he said with innocent and pleading eyes, causing Bonnie and I to giggle. "Okay, Jer. I'll tell you. So, Bonnie and I are going to kill Nik," I said causing him to stare with wide eyes and his mouth to hang open. "What?!" he shouted angrily, standing up and beginning to pace. "That's so dangerous! You guys can get hurt! What about Elijah?!" "Jer, Nik is Elijah's brother. That, alone, is reason enough not to trust him. I love Elijah, he's great, but if given a good reason, he would spare Nik's life." Jeremy stayed silent looking down at the floor until he nodded his head slightly. "Promise me," he mumbled, then looked up and locked his eyes on mine. "Promise me no one will get hurt," he pleaded. My heart went out to him. He's lost people at such a young age, and he's scared it could happen again. I was in his position once. But, in my case, I lost everyone I care about.