Chapter 11: Carter's P.O.V.

We make it to Estes Park, Colorado. The moment we pull up to our motel, I can't help but think Finally! It had taken us much longer than I feel like it should have.

Dean hands me the keys to my room and I push the door open. Two twin beds take up most of the space and I throw my bag on top of one. When we rescue Emma, she'll take the other one before we hit the road again.

I leave my room and walk next door to where the boys will be staying. It's slightly larger, with a couch next to the window. "Okay," I say, walking in. "Let's go get Emma."

"Woah, woah," Dean says, putting a hand up. "Slow down. We can't just walk in there blind. We need to come up with a plan."

I nod. "Yeah," I say. "You're right. Here's our plan." Everyone raises their eyebrow at me and I grab the car keys where they had been thrown on a table. "We go in, kick as much demon ass as we can and get Emma the hell out of there."

"Carter," Sam says, walking up to me. "We want to get Emma as much you do, but Dean's right. We need to really think about this."

I shake my head. "We can't wait," I say. "Emma is in trouble. And I'll be damned if I allow her to get tortured again. She's probably already seriously hurt. If we wait any longer, she could be killed."

"Carter," Michael says now and I turn to him. "We don't know what we are up against here. And even if we did, you would need to stay here. It's too dangerous for you to go rushing out of here."

I place a hand on my stomach and look down. Even though it's in the early stages, I can already feel the life beginning to grow inside of me. "Emma is my best friend," I say. "Sister even. I've lost everything and everyone. I've never had a friend until her. You can't really expect me to sit back and do nothing."

Dean walks up to me and places a hand on my shoulder. "You can help us by staying here. You'll need to make sure that everything is ready for when we bring Emma back."

I shake my head and shove his hand off of my shoulder. "Like hell, I'm going to stay here! I might be pregnant, but I can still kill a couple demons, Dad."

Everyone freezes and I quickly shut my mouth, my eyes going wide. My heart races in my chest as I realize what I had just said out loud. Ever since Dean took me in, he's become so much like a father to me. But I've never been dumb enough to admit this out loud. Until now, of course.

Tear press in the back of my eyes and I shake my head. "Look," I say. "You can tell me to stay all you want, but I'm just going to leave either way."

Everyone seems to shake out of their stunned silence for Dean throws his hands up. "Sammy?" He looks to his younger brother who shrugs and Dean rubs his hand down his face. "Fine," he finally says. "But we do things our way, not yours. Got it?"

I groan. "Fine," I say. "But think of something quick. I doubt Emma can wait any longer."

***

Night falls and I feel myself grow more and more impatient. Emma could be seriously hurt. I think back to every other time she's been captured and tortured. The difference is, I was also captured and tortured. So I probably have a good idea as to what they are doing to her.

My mind then falls to Derek. He, too, would understand. If he was here, he wouldn't hesitate to rush in and get her. He... Loved her. Even during those months we shared together, I knew he would never be able to love me the way he loved her.

I let a tear slip down my cheek and I place my hands on my stomach. "I'm so sorry," I say. "Your father would have loved you very much."

And then the tears spill. I can't stop them and I find myself gasping for air. Can I really do this? Keep his baby? What do I tell them when they start asking me where their father is? And I certainly can't allow them to grow up this life. They deserve so much more than this.

A light knock comes from my door and I look up to see Dean enter. "Hey," he says.

I wipe the tears from my cheeks and take a deep breath. "Hey," I choke out. He walks over to me and sits down on the bed next to me.

"Come here," he says. He pulls me to his chest and I cry into his shoulder. We stay like that for several minutes. When my crying slows, I pull away and take a couple deep breaths. "You okay?"

I shake my head. "No," I say with a sad laugh. "But I will be."

"Wanna talk about it?"

I shake my head again. "Not really." I take another deep breath and lay my head on his shoulder. "I miss him."

He wraps an arm around me and rubs his hand up and down my arm. "I know," he says.

"Dean," I say and I sit up and look at him. "I don't want this baby to be a hunter. I don't want them to grow up, living in fear. I want them to have a chance at a life."

He nods. "I figured as much."

"So you would be okay with me giving the baby away for adoption?"

He positions himself so that he's looking me in the eyes. "Carter," he says. "That decision is completely up to you. None of us will stop you. I just don't want you to make a decision that you will regret."

I close my eyes and take a deep breath. "I know," I say. "But I'm sure about this... I think."

He pulls me into a hug and gives me a tight squeeze. "You're gonna be okay, kid."

I bite my lip and hug him back. "Thank you, Dad."

I feel him tense and I quickly pull away. "Sorry," I say and he shakes his head.

"Hey," he says, putting a finger under my chin. He lifts my head so that I'm looking at him. He gives me a goofy smile and I smile back. "You're family now. I'd be more than happy to call you my kid."

My smile widens and I sit up straighter. "Do we have a plan?"

He sighs. "Not yet," he admits and I slump back again. "Sam and Michael are currently checking the place out, trying to get an idea of what we are up against."

"Okay," I say. He stands up to leave, but I grab his arm. "Dad?"

He looks down at me and I smile. "Thank you."

"Anytime," he says with a smile.

"No," I say. "I don't think you understand, Dean." He cocks his head at me and I take a deep breath. "You took me in without a second thought. You've saved me numerous times. You protected me when you didn't need to."

He ruffles my hair with his hand. "Your family now, Carter," he says. "And family sticks with family."

We smile at each other. After awhile, I say, "Goodnight, Dad."

He nods to me. "Goodnight, Carter. Sleep well. We got a big day tomorrow."

I smile and he leaves the room, closing the door behind him. After a few minutes, I stand up and lock the door. I place a line of salt in front of it and repeat this with the windows. After taking a quick shower, I climb under the blankets and close my eyes, allowing the nightmares that consume me every night to take me away.

***

A/N

Hey, guys! So, the next couple chapters will be in Carter's POV. Also, it's almost over! Just a couple more chapters!

I'm thinking about making a seperate book for One Shots once this story is over, just to kind of give an idea of what their lives are like after the story is over. Would you guys want me to do that?

And, for the millionth time, thank you all so much for reading, commenting, and voting! You guys are awesome and it means so much to me that you guys are enjoying my story. You guys are the reason why I actually go out of my way to update this story. If it weren't all of you reading, I probably would have stopped ages ago and have started several other stories by now! This will be the first story that I will have actually seen to the end! So thank you so much for motivating me to write as often as I have been!

Okay! I think that's all!

XOXO

Miranda

UPDATE: Do you guys like the new cover? I felt like the other cover looked too much like The Young Hunter's cover so I decided to make a new one. Let me know what you guys think!