Chapter 26

Heading North, Syramus River

 Aella stood in front of her parents looking disshelved yet determined. Her rosebud pink lips were reduced to a thin line and her previously kind eyes became piercing with fortitude. Electra raised an eyebrow somewhat questionably at her daughter's rugged appearance. Before her was a young woman in a stance with her two black leather boots placed wide apart, the hem of her dress at least six inches deep in mud, and her hair- Electra shuddered looking at her daughter's hair. Her thick mane of hair was now stringy with water and still dripping onto her stained frock, which was equally as waterlogged. The sopping material highlighted her evenly toned forearms and hugged the gentle inward curve of her waist. She was drenched to the bone in her own pain. Yet, even in this state, she was a sight to behold.

Thaumas rose from his throne as soon as his eyes had settled on his child. His mouth was agape with disgust. "Aella... what-what happened to you?" The concern was speckled in his voice, despite his frustrations with his only daughter. His usually deep voice became lighter with worry. Electra did not seem to be as affected as her husband. She was sure that there was a perfectly rational explanation for her daughter's appearance, and firmly pushed her foolish husband back into his seat.

Aella rung out her sleeve before speaking. "Just a small mishap whilst practicing with the water element." She stated apathetically. She had run off from Beatrix after the accident had occured, and the sage knew better than to go after her when she was in a mood.

Her father winced at the opaque beads of water hitting the cloth of the tent. Whenever they traveled from place to place the land they settled on was drenched meters deep in water. They had been fortunate enough to have a fraction of warm sunlight through the eye earlier that afternoon, allowing even the lowermost lengths of the tent to acquire some state of dryness. Now here Aella was, wetting the whole place up again!

"If this is Beatrix's doing..." began her father sternly. He was still not trusting of the old sage. He had allowed his daughter to train with the woman and he was now sure that it would bring about her ruin. Even in the low light of the tent, the thin layer of water gleaming his daughter's skin showed the dark violet bags under her eyes from weeks of attempting to master her abilities. And for what purpose?  he wondered.

Aella sighed visibly, and turned her head upwards, as though she would take no more of her father's antics.

"I did not come here to be assaulted by your words." She stated fiercely. Her father took a step back, not quite expecting the harshness that was present in her voice. He had never seen his daughter so overtaken, so changed.

Despite this initial shock, he regained his composure in a matter of seconds. His face was chiseled from rock, the grey hairs in his beard sparkled with wisdom, and his eyes darkened. "Then what did you come here for? To appeal to me with another of your ridiculous causes?"

"Yes. Indeed I have. Though if it be ridiculous, I shall allow only the gods to judge." She crossed her arms and began to circle her father. It was not at all unlike the behaviour of a vulture, which flies grimly about it's prey before sinking it's talons into warm flesh and feasting. She had gone on for years abstaining from the truth. She was ready to gorge herself on it, all at once.

Thaumas could barely stand the suspense with which she spoke. "Out with it!" He proclaimed boldly, his loud voice thundering throughout the tent as though it were a great hall. Even Aella's eyes widened ever so slightly, her face losing it's nonchalance.

At the idea of finally laying her proposition before her father, Aella felt the coolness of her wet garments begin to affect her. She could feel her arms prickle with goosebumps, but she began speaking nevertheless. " I do not beg your forgiveness for the events which I shall now lay before you. I shall not apologize for the measures that you have driven me to, though they may startle your honest heart."